[va-bird] CONI-Not Gone Yet

  • From: "Paul Woodward" <grackling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "night" <NITEHAWK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:21:05 -0400

After following Common Nighthawk migration for the past 8 years I should know that anything is possible, but I was surprised on Monday (9-18) to find 25 or so nighthawks feeding over the buildings at Tyson's Corner, Fairfax Co, VA after finding only 2 on Sept 17. I suppose these were the birds from further north which had also been pushed south by the front on Sunday.
Things got back to normal the past three evenings with 5 nighthawks on 9-19, 3 on 9-20 and 21. I had to work hard last evening to find all the birds since they were flying so high and almost out of the lights. There were a dozen or so bats feeding over the buildings last night with an abundance of insects. The only thing left to do for this year's project is to determine a departure date.

Paul Woodward
Fairfax City, VA
grackling@xxxxxxx