[USS Tempest] The Past - Home (Part 5 of the Saga)

  • From: Andrew Carnegie <andrewcarnegie3rd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:31:07 -0700 (PDT)

The Past - Home
By Jefferson and Luann Carnegie

Time - 5 Months Ago

The cargo ship left him off at Starbase One, orbiting Earth, where he arranged
to beam right to his fathers Embassy in Pittsburgh.

The officers were quite helpful and when he materialized, he was outside the
main entrance.

He opened the door, not expecting anything out of the ordinary, but when he did
he saw an Ambassadorial Aide running frantically after a little boy.  ?Andy,
stop this instant.?

Andy turned down the hall towards the front door, and right at Jefferson.  He
promptly scooped up the child.  ?Hello, short stuff, what?s your name??

?Andy?, replied the child, ?What?s yours??

?Jefferson.?

?That?s a funny name.?

?But my middle name is Andrew.?

The boy smiled.

?Sorry, Lieutenant, for having the boy bother you like this?, the aide came up,
out of breath.

?Not a problem.  If it?s not an issue, I think I can take him from here.?
Turning to the boy in his arms, ?So who is your mother??

?My mom?s name is Luann, and she?s pretty,? then Andy?s voice goes to a
whisper, ?and single.?

Jefferson lets out a chuckle, ?Oh is she now.  Interesting.?

Together they walk down the hall towards the Ambassador?s office, and towards
the future, together.

Jefferson walked into the outer office with Andy, now at his side.

?Mom? this is Jefferson.?

Luann looked up at Jefferson, no internal recognition in her face, except that
she knew that he was the Ambassador?s son, ?Good afternoon, Lieutenant.
Hopefully, my son hasn?t been bothering you.?

?No bother at all.  Is my father available??

?Actually, he should be just finishing up a meeting with Ambassador, oh I can?t
remember all their names.?

?There are just so many of them?, Jefferson winks.

?Sometimes, I think the same way?, Luann smiles.

They stare at each other for an exceedingly long time, lost in each others eyes.

?Would you and your son care to join me for dinner this evening?  I haven?t
been to Pittsburgh in so long, and would love to dine on Mount Washington.?

Luann blinks, ?Mount Washington, they have some fine restaurants there, not
sure if Andy would eat there?, they both looked at Andy.

Jefferson asks, ?Andy, would you like to go to dinner with your mom and me??

Luann was making ?no? motions behind Jefferson, as Andy looked back and forth
between them.  ?No.?

Jefferson seemed perplexed, ?Is it ok that I take your mother to dinner with
me??

This time, Luann was making ?yes? motions behind Jefferson, ?Yes.?

?Good, then it?s settled.  And Andy, we?ll do something fun ourselves?,
Jefferson winked.

?Okie dokie, I?m going to my room now.  See you later Jefferson?, he turned at
walked out.

?Quite a boy you have there.?

?Yes he is, and he seems to have taken quick to you.  Half the men around here
can?t keep him still, and he was stuck on you.?

Jefferson just smiled, he knew why, it was his son, but she wouldn?t know that.

Jefferson had returned from dinner with Luann, they had a wonderful time,
watching the old style riverboats from the restaurant, and then rode the
incline down to walk along the river.

He had walked into the garden where he and his father had talked before the
mission.  His father stood looking at the stars.

?Good evening, father.?

?Ah, Jefferson, I had heard you were here.  Sorry that my schedule forbid me to
come see you. You know the life of an Ambassador.?

Jefferson nodded at his fathers words.  His mind thinking and deciding on some
facts, ?So how is that genetic defect??

Andrew looked oddly at Jefferson, ?It is under control for the time being, but
how do you know.?

?You told me the last time we were in the garden, on a night like this, six
years ago.?

?But, you shouldn?t remember that.?

Jefferson just nodded, ?Why shouldn?t I remember?  I remember everything?, his
voice a little louder.

?Jefferson, keep your voice down.  They still watch and listen.?

Jefferson blinked at this pronouncement.

?They would still want you to not remember that mission.  I have been able to
keep Luann safe, but you how did you remember??

?It just came back to me, slowly.  After I remembered the defect, I ran a scan
on myself, it is true, I have it now.  Perhaps that is why I remembered?,
Jefferson paused.  ?Yes, Luann is as lovely as always, and Andy is just like I
was, isn?t he??

Andrew smiled, ?Yes, he is?, letting out a slight chuckle.

Together they walked back to the house.

The next several days, Jefferson spent evenings with Luann.  And days in the
gardens with Andy while his mother, and Jefferson?s father work.

The two of them were almost unseparatable during the day.

On a day before Jefferson was supposed to make his way back to the Einstein, he
took Andy to the furthest corner for some time, ?Andy, I have to ask you
something.?

?Ok, Jefferson?, as he sat cross-legged on the ground.

Jefferson sat down on the grass, ?Would it be ok with you, if I asked your
mother to marry me??

Andy with a surprised look, ?Really?!?

?That is, if you think it is a good idea, I don?t want to do it if you don?t
want me to.?

Andy made a face like he was in deep thought for a few moments, ?Ok, you can
marry my mom.?

?Thanks, Andy.?

Later that same day, Jefferson took Luann to the same corner with a blanket.
And together they sat.

Jefferson was a little nervous, ?Luann?, taking a deep breathe, ?I wanted to
ask you something.?

Luann took her eyes from the sky and looked at Jefferson.

?Will you marry me??

?What about Starfleet??

?I will resign my commission and come back to Earth and work at the CDC again.?

?And I suppose that?, trying to think of anything to respond to that.   Finally
out of ideas, ?Yes.?

?Yes, you?ll marry me??

?Yes?, she nodded and then kissed him.

http://mail.yahoo.com