[ussgeorgetown] "Timing"

  • From: DrNellieCoyne@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:13:09 EDT

"Timing"
Josh & Zack Garrity, Patrick McEntire, N'Ellie  Coyne, Vivie Lazzara

The large crimson sun of Qo`noS was high in the sky above them.  The warm
lava heated waters of the Qam-Chee ocean washed against the heated  black sands
of the shoreline, as a warm topical breeze rolled in from the east.  The day w
as hot, humid, and when the tide was out the gravity was slightly  higher. It
was the perfect setting to get Josh away from work and out of her  corner of
his and Mac's quarters, or at least N'Ellie was hoping he would enjoy  the
program.

There were beach blankets, shade  umbrellas, beach chairs, and coolers set up
away from the water.  That's were Josh was sitting working on the padd he
kept at his hip. N'Ellie  paused a moment in the football game she'd been
playing
with Zack and Mac  to look over at the slim young man sitting cross legged on
a beach towel.  She smiled to herself just before feeling the impact of
Zack's playful tackle  which sent her crashing into the sand.

The sound of Zachary's giggling echoed along the beach.  Mac roared as
N'Ellie and Zack went down, then called up to Josh. "You know,  Bean, it's alot
more
fun if you actually stop working, change into the swim  trunks we brought for
you and join us."

"Yeah, Josh," Zack added from where he lay sprawled on  the sand, still
giggling. "come on!"

Josh glanced back at them from where he sat  cross-legged on the towel, still
in his uniform, and shook his head, which only  made Mac laugh louder. He was
actually enjoying himself quite a bit as it was.

"Chicken," He called up to Josh, who actually smiled  back. "What's the
matter?" Mac chided. "Afraid of the water?"

Josh shook his head. He actually really liked to swim.  He'd just never done
it when anyone else was around, or actually felt  the need to undress to do
it.

"Come on Josh." N'Ellie added as she shook sand from  her dark hair. "It's
only us. No need to be self conscious." She stood up and  tugged on the legs of
the cut off jeans she had on over her swim  suit. "I mean you can't be any
more white then these capers." She teased as  she pointed at Zack and Mac.
Thanks
to her Klingon genetics N'Ellie had a light  perfect tan all year round, but
after spending the day on the beach she'd  be several shades darker.

"Who you calling a caper?" Mac shot back,still  laughing his bronzed skin
glistening in the heat.

N'Ellie eyed a bucket near their cooler and then winked  at Zack as she made
her way over to Josh. "At least take the jacket off.  You making me all hot
and sticky."

Josh laughed at that, trying to pretend he didn't  notice her gaze drift
toward the bucket and shaking his head. Rolling his eyes,  he removed his
jacket
and, after carefully folding it, placed it on the towel  next to him.

"That's better." N'Ellie smiled as she reached for the  bucket. She picked it
up and lifted it over Josh's head but in a quick turn  about she ended up the
one soaking wet.

Josh looked down at her from where he stood, laying  sprawled and soaked
where he and his jacket had been only moments before. After  a moment, he
blushed,
realizing he was staring.

N'Ellie didn't mind the fact that Josh was staring at  her, she was however
glad that the water wasn't cold. She couldn't help but  laugh as she sputtered
out water. "Your gonna get it, Garrity." She got to her  feet and moved
forward to chase him. She could hear Mac and Zack laughing and  she couldn't
help
but giggle.

Josh let her get to her feet before he started running,  staying just ahead
of her until Mac and Zack decided to gang up on him as well.  Deciding, though
he couldn't explain why, that he'd rather be caught by her than  them, he
allowed her to chase him into the frothy waves then took her down with  him
when
he went in at last.

Breaking the surface of the water with Josh's hands on  her hips, N'Ellie
looked into his eyes as she sputtered water out of her mouth.  She smiled,
laughed, and then just stood there looking into his eyes. Had she  ever seen
anything that color blue before? Why did she suddenly want to lean in  and kiss
her
best friend? Had she just took a step closer to him?

Josh felt her move closer to him and for once felt no  urge to back away. It
seemed as though she somehow belonged there within his  space as she was. He
felt his arms go around her seemingly of their own  volition.

The heat and humidity rolled over them as soon as  the holodeck doors opened.
Vivie had never seen a place like this before. The  sun was bright, the sky
clear, yet the rocks and sands all around them were  so dark. She stepped
further into the holodeck, down onto the sand, flanked by  two Marine MPs. She
took
in the scene before her and had to fight hard not to  blush and turn away
from what looked to be a private moment. "Ensign Joshua  Garrity."

Josh jumped, releasing N'Ellie and stepping back  abruptly as he turned
toward the authoratative sound of the voice that addressed  him.

Under normal circumstances Vivie would have been  thrilled at seeing her
friend happy, and looking at the young woman the way he  was, but of course
these
weren't normal circumstances. "Ensign, you're going to  need to come with us."

N'Ellie's eyes narrowed at the redhead with the  Southern accent. It was
clear as crystal that she was security and her goons  were MPs. "Why does he
have
to come with you?"

Vivie looked at the hybrid woman who's dark eyes were  slowly beginning to
blaze. She knew that look, it was the look she'd have if she  felt Alex was
being threatened. Turning back to Josh she repeated, "Lets keep  this easy,
Josh."

"Keep what easy? What is this?" Mac demanded,  approaching fast.

Zack, for as tiny as he was, wasn't far behind. "Go  where?"

The two large MPs behind her stepped forward a bit, but  Vivie held her hand
up to stop them. She continued to look at Josh as she spoke.  "You need to
come with me. There's some questions we need to ask you. Please  don't make me
do
this in front of your friends, Josh."

Something in Josh's __expression made it clear he  didn't understand. What
questions could she have that he couldn't answer here?  "Do what?" He asked at
last, the confusion clear in his quiet  tones.

"Hold on, Vivie, what is this? You're his friend, too,  remember. What's with
the goon squad?" Mac demanded, stepping between her and  Josh and holding up
a hand to halt his friend.

"It's okay," Josh said quietly, as something in Vivie's  eyes registered.
"She has no choice. She's just...doing her  job...."

No, Zack thought, as he heard the resignation in his  brother's tone, so like
it used to be in the mines when he would lead the  Keepers and G'Tal away.
"No," he said again out loud, positioning himself  between his brother and
those
who'd come to take him away.

"Does this have anything to do with the questions you  were asking me,
Lieutenant?" N'Ellie asked as she moved protectively closer to  Zack. She knew
Josh
wouldn't react unless it was to protect Zack, and something  deep down told
N'Ellie reacting wouldn't be in his best interest.

Vivie looked at N'Ellie before turning to Mac. "I am  his friend." She said
it so softly that she wasn't sure she'd been heard.  Then she took a deep
breath and said louder. "I have my orders. Which are to  bring Mister Garrity
down
to security. Please don't interfere."

"But, like this, Viv? You couldn't just call him and  ask him to come to you.
You had to do it like this? That's how friends do it  now?" Mac glared hard
at her, certain that a real friend wouldn't have come to  drag him off in front
of his friend, his brother, and his girl like this. They'd  have left him a
little dignity if nothing else.

"It's okay," Josh repeated, very quietly, stepping  toward Vivie.

As Josh stepped forward, Zack shouted, "No, you can't,"  and lunged at the
nearest 'goon'.

Vivie lowered her voice so only Mac could hear her.  "I'm doing it the only
way I can, Mac. If I were doing it by the book he'd be in  cuffs and half way
to the br...."

Her sentence was cut off when the young one lunged for  Miller. She stepped
into the boy's path before Miller could react. She hoped  that Josh knew she
wouldn't hurt him. "Wait outside." She ordered the two lugs  behind her.

N'Ellie had reached out to grab hold of Zack but the  kid was just as quick
as Josh was. She did mange to get to him before he'd  gotten to the redhead.
She put an around over his shoulder, drawing him close to  her, pressing her
hand against his chest. All the while glaring at Vivie with a  full blaze
burning
in her eyes.

"I'm not going to hurt your brother." Vivie told Zack  softly. "We'll clear
this all up, but for now it's best he comes with me."

"No," Zack plead pitifully until Josh reached out and  placed a hand upon his
arm. Zack shook his head emphatically. Josh shrugged,  then glanced toward
N'Ellie. At last, Zack quit struggling. Moving silently  past N'Ellie and Mac,
Josh followed Vivie toward the door without another  word.

N'Ellie kept her arm around Zack as they watched Josh  leave with the
redhead. Except for her crush on that redheaded Fedwire reporter  out of Hong
Kong,
N'Ellie now disliked redheads with Southern accents.  "It'll be ok, kid. We got
your brother's back." She hugged Zack with the arm she  had around him and
then looked up at Mac. "Where's Hale?"