[ussgeorgetown] Shadows of the night by Angelina Michaels and Perenni Arianna

  • From: Tesa16591@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:17:38 EDT

Angelina was still in her sister's quarters, going through the  closet
looking for something to "borrow" for the night. It didn't matter to her  that
she'd
probably end up keeping whatever she found and she knew Rachelle  wouldn't
mind either. Anything she really liked, she usually had two of anyway,  an old
habit from when they were young.

The lights went out and she froze. What was going on? All she could  think
was that they were coming back for her, to take her to the prison planet
they'd
threatened her with when she couldn't tell them what they wanted to know.
They said they could find her if they wanted to. And now they had.......She
felt
 her way tot he corner, her hand seeking the small hideaway knife she always
had  with her. Not this time, never again. She'd kill them or herself before
she let  them take her back.
 No. This wasn't real, it was just the shadows they'd placed  in her mind all
that time ago. She shook her head, straining in the dark to see  even when
she knew she couldn't. She reached out, finding the table she  remembered
seeing
earlier and felt for the candle that stood there. Feeling  further, she found
the lighter and squinted her eyes at the sudden bright light.  Touching the
flame to the wick, she held the candle high, checking every corner,  every
shadow. There was nothing, of course. The things she feared lived in the  dark
corners of her mind, not here on this ship. Still, she slowly made her way  to
her feet then walked the entire area of the quarters, checking, looking,
finding only the familiar belongings of her sister. She relaxed minutely, then
tensed again. She could hear movement in the ductwork overhead, someone was
crawling towards her. She held the candle high in one hand, the blade in the
other
and waited.

Rain crawled through the ducts, cursing softly as she scraped  elbows on the
walls. Where was the access panel on this deck anyway? Her  objective had to
be close by, she knew. She would prefer using the hallways but  when the lift
doors refused to budge, this was the only way in. "The things I do  for my
friends." she thought, then stopped as what she had just thought  registered.
Her
friend? Yes, she thought. Angelina had become her friend during  the shuttle
incident. She hurried on, spurred by the worry she had detected in  the
doctor's voice when the comm came between the first short blackout and this
longer
one.

"Lt. Commander, could you please send someone to my quarters to  check on my
sister? I know this sounds unusual, but she could need some help."  The comm
had cut off then with the second blackout. Rain hadn't hesitated, she'd  been
in the lift on her way to the bridge when all this happened, so she was  close
by once the power went out. She had to exit the lift at any rate, sitting  in
the dark until lights were restored wasn't something that appealed to her in
any case.

She slid open the nearest panel, peering down into the quarters  that were
bathed in the soft light of the candle that was held aloft in one  hand, the
knife blade glittering in the other. "Wait! I come in  peace!"

Angelina barely refrained from letting the blade fly, but the  reflexes she
had developed after her ordeal with the Cardassians came to the  fore.
Breathing heavily, she asked, "Do you always crawl in unannounced?" before
gesturing
for Rain to descend. After shifting around, Rain did just that,  landing
gracefully on the floor of the room before asking in turn, "Do you  always
welcome
visitors with sharp objects?"

"I wasn't expecting...... well, okay, I wasn't expecting friendly  visitors.
Let me guess.... my sister sent you to check up on her basketcase of a
sibling?"

Rain nodded hesitantly. "Not exactly how she worded it, but yes,  she did
request that I make sure things were all right here. Since I was hanging
around
in the turbolift, I decided to come myself. Better than sitting in a  small
dark place waiting for someone to fix whatever went wrong." She dusted off  the
knees of her uniform, then said, "Wanna tell me just who that knife was
intended for?"

Angelina shook her head and sighed. "It's a long story."

Looking around at the dark room, Rain answered, "It doesn't seem  that I'll
be going anywhere for a while."

Angelina sighed again and gestured to one of the chairs. "Better  get
comfortable, then. It might take a while."