<USS Eagle> "No Contact"

  • From: Malachi <malachistyles@xxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:40:22 -0500

ON

After a particularly trying outing, with the other cadets, Malachi returned to his dorm room.  He wanted, desperately to see the lovely face of Lt. Melody, the counselor aboard the U.S.S. Eagle, and a young lady Malachi had deep feelings for.  He was quickly disappointed to find no new messages there, from her.  This was not like Melody.  She always was very prompt in answering Mal's messages to her, and send her own to him.  According to the data on his last message sent, it had not yet even been delivered.

"Computer," Malachi said.  "I am requesting an open comm to my mother on Stabase 294."  The computer beeped it's compliance.  Malachi sat back in his chair.  he knew, in this case, it would take several minutes, maybe even up to half an hour to establish a connection. It all depended oh how busy the comms were, and how busy his mother was.  About ten minutes later the comm beeoped.

"Malachi?" came the voice of Commodore April Styles-Fyrstk.  Her face appeared on the monitor, a slight look of worry in her eyes.  it was not like him to contact her in the middle of a normal week.  "Are you alright?"

"Hello, Mother," Malachi said.  "Yes.  I am fine.  I just...."  He paused, suddenly feeling foolish for bothering her.

"If this is nor important, son, I need to clear the comm," April said.  She glanced away from the monitor for a moment, and Malchi knew she was not alone in her office.

"I am sorry for bothering you, Mother," Malachi said, genuinely apologetic.  "I was wondering if you have heard from Dad.  My last message sent to the Eagle has gone undelivered."

"No, Mal," Aptil replied.  She knew who he was trying to contact on the ship, and while she didn't totally approve of the relationship, and had hoped it would cool when Malachi went to the Academy, she knew his feelings, and Her's were genuine for each other.  "I have not heard from him either, and am awaiting a call from Command now."  She wanted to assure him that things were fine, and maybe the Eagle was just unavailable at the moment, but she knew Malachi would know she wasm't telling the complete truth.  He had spent his entire life aboard starships, and knew things could happen.

"Can you please let me know if you find anything out," Malachi asked.  He knew he would, eventually, find out, but he wanted to know as soon as she knew.  Not just because of Melody, but because of his fatcher and all the friends he had left behind when he went to the academy.

"Of course, dear," April said.  She offered him a warm smile.  "I will let you know as soon as I can.  In the meantime, try not to let it worry you.  You know the type of things your father gets into and the type of commander he is."

"Yes, Ma'am," Malachi replied.  he did, indeed know.  He experienced quite a bit during his time aboard the Eagle.  "Again, I apologize for bothering you and interrupting whatever you have going."

"I am glad you are alright," April said.  "I heard about your little outing.  You will have to tell me more about it when we have more time." She looked offscreen for a moment, then back.  "Admiral Rohnok wishes you well."

The surprised look on Malachi's face was evident, at the news of Lukas's cousin being at his mother's station, hit him.  There definitely must be something going on, and while Malachi wanted to know more, he knew his mother was waiting for a call from Command.  "Thank you, and inform the Admiral I also bide him well.  I will await your call.  Malachi out."

"I love you sweetheart,"  was all April said.  The screen turned back to the UFoP insignia. Malachi sat back in his chair with a heavy sigh.

OFF