<USS Eagle> "Message From Starbase 292:

  • From: Rayne McCloud <raynemccld@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pasteurstation@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:31:26 -0400

ON

Pasteur Station had seen its share of commanding officers, over the past couple of years.  For some reason, no one wanted to stay.  The latest to leave was the Andorian, Captain Helsing, finally found a command to his liking.  It was a quiet station in the Andorian system.  Just his style, practically no controversial activity.
    The one constant, over the years was Commander Rayne McCloud.  He had been ready to accept three different commands when the COs of Pasteur would transfer out, and Starfleet would always postpone giving Rayne a command.  They would always tell him he was needed right there.
    "Good morning, Commander," Rayne heard Lt. Commander Hanna, his acting XO, say.  "Things seem pretty quiet, this morning."
    "I wouldn't say that too loudly, Commander," Rayne said with a smile.  His deep purple eyes showing his amusement.
    Right on cue, the comm station let out a soft beep.  Both McCloud and Hanna glanced over to the comm officer.  Ensign Bownes looked up.
    "Commander," Bownes called out, a bit of urgency in his voice.  "Priority message coming in from Starbase 292."
    Rayne gave Hanna a "told you so" look. "Send it to my console, Ensign."  Both he and Hanna glanced at the monitor as the face of 292's XO came on.
    "Commander McCloud here.  What can I do for you." Rayne noted the extremely serious look in the man's eyes.
    "Hello, Commander.  We've just experienced a Firegon terrorist attack," the man told Rayne.
    "Firegon?" Rayne asked.  "Are you certain.  I mean you are quite far off the normal beaten pa..."
    "We're certain, Commander.  Commodore Fyrstk has been seriously injured and she confirmed it was a single Firegon operative.  They tried blowing up the entire station and would have succeeded, had the commodore not found it."
    "You believe they're re-opening agression toward Federation bases and outposts?" Rayne asked.  The Firegon had been all too quiet since the kelenosite incident.
    "We honestly don't know," the commander told him.  "We're just advising any stations or outposts that are near Firegon space, and we also need something else from your station."
    "Certainly," Rayne told him.  "whatever you need."  He thought about joking that April could not have Pathfinder back, but he decided it wouldn't be appropriate.
    "The commodore is requesting Dr. Ane to get here as quickly as possible.  Our CMO's prognosis of her condition isn't good.  We already have a call out for her husband, but his ship doesn't seem to be in the Alpha Quadrant at the moment. "
    "I will get the message to her right away," Rayne acknowledged.
    "The Firegon operative has also made off with one of the commodore's sons.  I wish I could give you more of a ship description, but we just don't know.  They mus have been utilizing a cloaking device."

Rayne frowned even more.  "We know they have been working on smaller scout ships, to give them more versatility, but with a cloak?"  He let out a sigh.  "We can keep a closer watch on the listening posts in and out of Firegon space, Commander, but that is about it."
    "Thank you, Commander.  I don't know how much more can be done either and I don't have to remind you to be watchful. You guys have had your fill of these.... animals."
    Rayne knew 292's XO wanted to use a more colorful word.  He nodded his agreement.  "We shall be careful, Commander.  Thank you. My best to Commodore Fyrstk.  We'll be praying for her."
    "She's going to need a lot more than that, Commander. Two-nine-two out."
    Rayne and Hanna watched the screen turn back to the Federation insignia.  "Get the Dauntless ready," Rayne orderd to Hanna.  "Take Dr. Ane directly to Starbase 292."
    "Aye, sir," Hanna confirmed.  "You want me to inform Dr. Ane?"
    "No," Rayne answered solemnly.  He knew how close April Styles-Fyrstk and Terra were.  "I'll do that."

OFF
Commander Rayne McCloud
Acting CO