<USS Eagle> "Dinner Time On the Eagle"

  • From: Malachi <malachistyles@xxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:52:20 -0500

ON

    Dinner time on the USS Eagle.  Always a fascinating time, for Dr. Core Fenway.  In his many conversations with the Dr. Resork-EMH, Resork mentioned several times how important it was for a ship's medical officer to get to know the crew.  Usually, Core was engaging one or two crewmen in conversation, getting a good gauge of crew morale.  Tonight, he was eating alone.
    It had been a week, since he and Dr. Melody, the ship's counselor had started their conversation.  She had guessed that she was the woman in Core's radar.  The woman Core had fallen for.  They really hadn't had much chance to talk since.    Core really was wondering what she was thinking.
    "Yo, Doc," came a familiar voice, followed by the sound of a tray being set on the table, across from Core.  Core looked up and saw the young face of Ensign Troy Banning.  "How come you're eating by yourself?"
    "Hello, Troy," Core said.  He gave the ensign a slight smile.  He and Banning had shared many a meal, since Banning came aboard, and Core came to like the young science officer.  "I was a tad busy in my thoughts."
    "Thinking about her, huh?"  Banning sat down opposite Fenway.  He dug a fork into his pasta.
    "Yes.  She still hasn't said a word," Fenway said.  He stabbed at the salad on his plate. "It really doesn't matter. I know what her answer is anyhow."
    "I don't understand, Doc," Banning said.  "I mean, the other guy is just a kid, right?   In the academy."
    "This is no ordinary kid," Core told his dinner companion.  He found Troy's statement amusing, considering the science officer, himself was fresh out of the academy.
    "He looked just like any other cadet, to me," Banning said, putting another forkful into his mouth.
    "He is much more to her," Fenway said. "And to a lot of other crew on this ship.  Those two shared a lot while he was aboard.  I cannot compete with that."
    Troy shrugged.  "There's more women on the ship, Doc."
    Core gave a sigh.  "But, none like her."

OFF