<USS Eagle> Decision

  • From: Kairyn Jorel <kairyn.jorel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 06:00:13 -0600

*:ON:

     The U.S.S. Multawny had been towed, at warp, back to Pasteur Station.
The journey took four days. The crew had all been transferred to Pasteur
Station as well, some of them in critical condition from the experimentation
the Firegon had subfected them to.
     Captain Rayne McCloud had just finished up his reports on the incident.
With a sigh, he sat back in his chair and looked at the list of things he
still needed to accomplish. Number one on the list was the choosing of a
first officer for his ship.
     He looked over the list of available officers, all awaiting their
chances to be moved into an XO's slot. Rayne remembered when he had been one
of those. Curious enough, one name was missing from that list.
     "McCloud to Commander Jorel," Rayne called out, tapping on his comm
badge.
     Kairyn was in her temporary quarters, packing what little she currently
had brought on board. There wasn't a lot, she had only expected to be here
for escorting the Eagle to Pastuer Station. The only reason she had been
called upon for the assignment was pure coincidence. She had just passed her
test for Command and promoted to Commander. She had been in Starfleet
Command when they needed someone to be delivery boy.
     Now, with the threat in the area reduced, she expected to return to
earth. She put her bag down when she heard the Captain's call.
     "Jorel here Captain, how can I help you?"
     "Can you come to the ready room, Commander?"
     "Of course Sir. I'm on my way." She left her quarters and made her way
to his ready room.  Then chimed the door.
     "Enter," Rayne answered. He smiled as Jorel entered, and rose. Coming
around his desk, he gestured towards the more comfortable sofa as a place to
sit, as opposed to the more formal setting of his desk. "Thank you for
coming, Commander. Can I get you anything to drink?"
     Kairyn smiled and walked over to the Couch, "I've always been partial
to Pineapple Juice sir."
     "Sounds good, " Rayne remarked. He went to the replicator and ordered
two. Bringing them back across the room, he put the drinks on the small
table, then sat at the opposite end of the sofa.
     "I wanted to express my personal thanks for your assistance on this
mission," McCloud said to the commander. "I know you were only escorting the
ship out here."
     Kairyn picked up one of the glasses and took a sip. "It was a learning
experience Captain. Thank you for the oppertunity."
     "You're welcome, Commander." Rayne also took a sip from his juice. He
sat back on the sofa. "Commander, I have been reviewing the list of
candidates to become the next XO on this ship. I, however, didn't see your
name on the list."
     "Well I was Chief Science Officer on the USS Ortiz, which was just
decommissioned. After the decommissioning, I was temporarily assigned to
Starfleet HQ. Hours before being assigned to bring you the Eagle, I passed
the Command test, and promoted to Cmdr. sir. So, I haven't been in a
position to take an XO spot. I guess will all the trouble our here, that
list wasn't updated."
     Rayne nodded thoughtfully. What he was about to ask could turn out to
be a mistake, considering that Jorel had just recently passed the COmmand
Officer test, but she had performed well under the stress of this past
mission.
     "If you were asked to fill the XO slot aboard this ship," Rayne finally
asked. "Would you consider it?"
     Kairyn leaned back in the sofa, and took another sip of juice to give
her a moment to think. "Of course I would consider it Captain. Might I
inquire why you would look at someone so green?
     Rayne smiled. "I'm asking myself that, too. However, you have proven
yourself in a pretty sticky situation. Your service record is impeccable,
and your test scores were high."
     "May I speak freely Captain?"
     "Of course."
     She took another sip, "When I decided to take the Command Officer test,
it was a hard decision. Going away from the science that I loved.  I always
knew that once I took the test, I would eventually move away from it. I
never expected it would be this soon, and on a non science vessel.
     "I will say this, at least the Eagle is an exploration ship."  She took
another sip, "Do you mind if I take 24 hours to give you a decision
Captain?"
     "Take as much time as you need, Commander," Rayne told her. "Just bear
this in mind, while you make your decision. Admiral Janeway would not have
sent you out here with this ship if she didn't think you would be able to
handle yourself."
     Kairyn smiled, "I know that Captain and thank you. It's not my ability
that concerns me. It's whether or not I'm truly ready to give up the hands
on science."
     "Heck, if that all you want," Rayne joked. "We'll send Banning down to
the lowest science lab we can find and the console is yours."
     Laughing, "I wouldn't want that Captain. Banning is a good officer."
     "Yes, he is," McCloud agreed. "Well you think on it, Commander. The job
is yours if you want it."
     Kairyn stood up. "Thank Captain. I will let you know soon."*
*
:OFF:

Captain Rayne McCloud
CO