[ussbansheec] Warmth and the Cold War

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 06:47:26 -0400

_Warmth and the Cold War
_by Torvan & Tavor Kell; Eislin Taline &Rissa; Elizabeth Carter Eislin, and Xid Sllih

 /"I don't know why you use a fancy French word like detente when
 there's a good English phrase for it-cold war."--Golda Meir /

Torvan stopped short when the smell hit him. "This is..." The scales around his mouth paled slightly. "I cannot sit still in this. Disorganization is one thing but...I need to clean this up. Is there a program or at least real supplies?"

"I have no clue..." Taline gagged and put a hand over her mouth. "Prophets... it's disgusting... I'm... I'm gonna try and set a course... then" She gagged again, coughing violently. "Call your Dad," she wheezed.

"I wish I had Doctor Tain's surgical gloves," Torvan muttered as he picked his way to what seemed to be the Ops panel. "Disgusting...utterly disgusting..." he continued even as he gingerly tapped in that well known code.

The Ops officer aboard Legate Kell's ship cringed. Another incoming message and the legate was not in a good mood. "Legate, there's a hail from an unknown source."

"What do you mean 'unknown'?" Kell asked. "Is it that damned bizarre looking Federation captain again?"

"No, Legate, it's..." The man looked up in consternation. "Sir, they're using your personal code."

"What?! And you're wasting my time babbling? On screen: now!" Kell demanded.

Torvan's revulsion was completely forgotten when the angry visage of his father appeared on the Orion's admittedly filthy screen. "Father!"

"I think I'm gonna be sick," Taline groaned from behind Torvan as she plucked at the navigation controls. She glanced over and offered the legate a weak smile before starting to plot their course.

"Torvan Kell, what sort of sty are you in?" the legate demanded after a perfunctory nod to the Bajoran girl. His nose wrinkled in disgust just looking at the screen. "It obviously isn't a cell any longer."

Torvan sketched a brief bow. "Because your son and his former cell mates are tactical geniuses and we escaped," he said with a small grin. "The Orion is disgusting. Taline is plotting a course ...ah from wherever we are to some place else."

"Deep Space Vega Prime," she said from over his shoulder. "I can send you the coordinates of where we are but this comm system is so old, I think the last person to use it was Ohura. It might short out." She finished setting the course and felt the ship move off, heading where she wanted, so she padded over to peer over Torvan's shoulder at his father. "From what I've seen of the system, the smelly guy in the brig rigged it to work through that cell when it's not meant to. I don't know how to fix it. If Joban was here..."

Kell's eyes blinked in thought. The girl was standing quite closely...he dismissed that as he recognized the name. "Yes, I imagine Rea Joban would know," he mused. "It matters not, though. My navigator has your coordinates." He shot the man a look that said he damned well better have them. "We will rendezvous with you shortly. Torvan, if you're unharmed, do try to clean that mess up. It's appalling."

Taline blinked only once. How did the legate know who Joban was? Surely they weren't that well known? "We're going to call my Mum next. She's probably going mad."

Kell inclined his head.  "No doubt though where is your captor, young lady?"

"In the cell he kept us in," she told him with a wicked grin. "Torvan knocked him out and we locked him in. We even knocked out his comm panel."

"Brute force is occasionally a wonderful tool," Torvan smirked as he held up his hand. He frowned as lines of static began to appear on the screen.

"Oh crap," Taline sighed as she jumped to another console to try to fix the static but the moment she did a loud pop resounded around them and the comms went down. "Shit!!"

"Maybe hitting the system wasn't such a good move after all," Torvan mused. "Hopefully, Father won't assume there's a problem. The condition of this ship would indicate it's poor maintenance."

"I think it's more like that stupid green bastard rerouted the comm to an older interface and it damaged the system," Taline groaned. "I can maybe get it working again but it'll take me a few hours."

"Can I go kill him once I'm done cleaning?" Torvan asked dead pan. "If you work on the systems, I'll clean up. I would hate to be hosed down simply to say hello to my father."

"Go ahead," she said with a deep sigh. "I guess we won't get that chat, will we?"

"I want to but..." He waved a hand at their surroundings. "This is making us both sick and I really don't think it's fair to want to enjoy ourselves in such a sty. It's certainly isn't fair to you."

"It's making my skin itch," she said with a shudder. "I don't even wanna know what kinds of things are living in the inner workings of all this. Yuck..." She gave another shake and hugged her arms around her. "I'm about to find out though."

Torvan laughed. "From the smell, I'd say it was all dead, not that that's any better." He gave her a quick hug. "I hope your skin won't itch too much. It's fine the way it is now."

"I swear I'm gonna scrub and scrub and scrub when I get back," she snorted as she dropped to her knees in front of the comm panel, sliding off the casing. It was grime filled and as she peered inside, she swore she saw something scuttle away. "I think this place needs to be blown up when we're off it."

"Now that idea I like a great deal," Torvan began as he stared at the Ops panel. He tapped a few keys, frowning as he did. Finally, he hmmphed out loud. "On Federation machines, do the least or never used programs get hidden in compressed files?"

"I think so, I know they are on my parents' machines," she said as she pulled at the cabling and sighed at how badly gnawed it all was.

"Just what I thought," he said with a nod as gray scaled fingers flew over the screen. "You know, I have no idea what the ship looks like on the outside but on the inside, it's a conglomeration of too many things. It has to be why it's in such bad repair. This is a Ferengi computer system and...heh, he has a Cardassian transporter set up..." He continued poring over files until he hit paydirt. "Ah ha! Excellent, I found the maintenance subroutine. Dare I trust it?"

"It's probably so old it doesn't remember what maintenance is," she snorted.

"Better than stench, rot, and filth," he chuckled as he activated the program, though he did cringe slightly as he did. "Fresh air. I would settle for that. I'll clean surfaces by hand if I have to. Bad enough we were in a cell. There's no reason to be uncomfortable now that we're free."

Something cranked deep inside the ship and suddenly they were engulfed with less foul smelling air. "Prophets, that's better already," she sighed out.

Torvan knelt next to her, a relieved smile on his face. "Ferengi are usually quite well dressed. I can't imagine they'd like stench," he chuckled. "Do you want a hand or shall I give this place a good going over with whatever cleaning fluid I find?"

"Clean," she laughed as she picked up an isolinear chip and plugged it into a tricorder she'd found. "Unless you know magic and can unfuse these chips."

When Torvan frowned he looked even more like his father. One gray finger tapped the offending chip. "Spares which I doubt that Orion has." He shook his head and headed for where most other species would keep a utility closet, muttering under his breath about stupidity the whole time.

"If you find those mythical spares in there, let me know," she called over, grinning as she watched him from behind. When she realised what she was doing, she flushed scarlet and studiously went back to the chips, checking each one.

Torvan shook his head at the display in the closet then slowly backed out. Wondering at Taline's color, he shrugged and said, "I have no idea what any of the stuff is and it just isn't wise to sniff unknown substances. However, we do know the replicator works. Naani, my maternal grandmother, always said that what Humans call vinegar, when mixed with water, cleans anything." He peered at her closely. "Are you alright?"

Coughing lightly, she turned to smile at him and blushed a little brighter when she met his eyes. "Um... Kinda..."

"Your face is very flushed," he stated, his eyes growing deeper with concern. "Maybe the fresh air is getting to you."

"Um... no... it's not the fresh air... it's..." She bit her lip as she climbed to her feet, the useless chips forgotten on the floor as she approached him. "It's you. You're getting to me in a way I never expected."

"Oh." He peered down at her, a crooked smile on his face. "Is that such a bad thing? How Cardassians indicate attraction is completely different than how other species do but I have quite thought the same about you. I wasn't joking when I told the Orion that you were pretty."

"Not so bad," she said with a tiny grin. "Just... a little scary. You're not anything like I expected and if we do really get out of this, I'd like to spend some time... just being with you."

"If your parents don't shoot me on sight, I'd like that. Otherwise," he said with a snort as he carefully snaked an arm around her, "you'll have to visit me in sick bay. Or home. Outworlders are more welcome these days."

She actually found herself leaning against him, her head on his chest and her eyes closed. "I'll protect you from the mean Eislins," she teased as she grinned happily to herself,

"They aren't mean," he mused. "I am a living embodiment of many nightmares. I am, fortunately, patient." He wondered if all females had such soft hair or if it was just her. "I like you, Taline. You are worthy of effort."

"So're you," she said with a bright smile, reaching to kiss his cheek. "I want to learn everything about you."

"You did that before," he said softly. "This would be exactly the second time anyone's ever done that."

"I like doing that," she murmured, her fingers reaching to touch his cheek where she'd kissed him. "Your skin is smooth and soft, it doesn't feel like any I've ever touched before."

"I've heard the theory before that we descend more from a reptilian brain than a mammalian one. It extends to the skin..." He sighed happily. She had nice hands. "Yours is softer."

"Yeah but I bet you don't use moisturizer," she teased as she raised to touch her cheek to his, her arms draping around his shoulders. "This is nice. Like, a little softness when we're so scared."

He sniffed in amusement. "But we do shed skin like reptiles." he told her. It felt good just holding her. "I agree, you know. I could...well, I could get used to this."

"You do?" she said with a blink.  "How often do you shed?"

"Every few months." He tapped his forehead. "Especially here and on the neck ridges."

"Is it gross?" The moment she said it, she flushed scarlet and cringed. "Prophets, that was so rude, I'm sorry!"

Torvan laughed loudly, letting her go so that he could grab his midsection. "It's funny! Believe me, I'm not offended. My youngest brother giggled so hard when he read the Terran book Father brought home. He decided he was going to be a...I hope I remember this properly... tyrannosaurus rex...when he grows up." He straightened up and held out a hand. "It simply like dried skin. It does itch somewhat."

She took his hand and grinned, deciding she liked the sound of his laughter. Stepping right up to him, she snaked a hand around his waist. "Me and my brother Som had little plastic toys made to look like dinosaurs. I liked the flying ones."

"Heh, that's cute. Enarban would like that. He's only eight years old," Torvan explained. "Father rolls his eyes because he still plays with toys."

"Eight's not too old for toys!" Taline protested with a grin. "My sister Disir still played with her lamb toy when she was twelve and thirteen. But then she's kinda different from most kids, I think... My Dad saved her from being a slave, took her in and then him and Mum brought her up."

"I appreciate sentiment along with drama," Torvan said as his fingers combed through her hair. "I let him have all of the rest of my things except my miniature of Father's ship. I had it with me on the freighter. Probably lost now."

She frowned a little on his behalf. "That's awful," she said in a small voice. "I think Disir would be really upset if she lost her sheep. She said it was the first oft thing she'd had when she left the Mines."

"Until now, I think my life has been rather sheltered for one of my species. My parents are insane that way but I appreciate it. I've not had a hard day in nineteen years until this. A spoiled legate's son."

Nineteen? Taline peered up at him and really looking at his face. Of course, she had no way of telling with a Cardassian, having only just been exposed to them as a species, but if she based it all on the way he behaved, she'd have pegged him closer to her own age of 25. "Wow..." she murmured with a blush over her cheeks. "Wow and wow, you're still a teenager?"

"Enarban is eight as I said, and my eldest brother is thirty," he explained. He tapped her nose lightly. "A problem?"

"Only if you don't have a problem with older women," she said with a bright smile at how cute he was being.

"Why would that matter?" he asked curiously.

"Well I don't know but I think I read in a novel that most men are older than the women they... um..." She blushed again and grinned sweetly.

"Oh." Dark eyes blinked as he realize what she was talking about. "I, ah, have absolutely no idea," he admitted.

"Sorry," she said with a blush. "I didn't mean anything, it was just an example. Maybe a bit of fantasy too but mostly an example."

"I wasn't objecting to the notion," he said softly. "I just have no idea. If neither of us get shot at..."

"Maybe we can... y'know..." she grinned up at him.

He brushed her cheek with the back of one finger. "I somehow doubt any place on this ship is clean enough to touch your skin."

"Only you," she whispered as she almost purred at his touch. With the lightest of touches, she reached to her tip toes and kissed his lips so gently.

Instinct. He'd never kissed anyone before and he couldn't imagine anyone else's lisp would be so soft. She smelled good, tasted good. "I smell horrible. You deserve better."

"You smell just fine to me," she sighed as she held onto him. "Mmm and you taste so good."

Torvan smiled against her lips. It felt ridiculously self indulgent to be thinking what he was when they were really still in some peril but, he told himself, so be it. She's right. We deserve some sweetness. He bent his neck, ignoring the ache in the left side, to kiss her fully, wrapping his arms around her.

Her hands slid up his hand as she clung to him, her lips pushed as tightly to his as she could. He tasted and felt so good, like nothing she'd imagined. Not that she'd had much exposure to men before but he seemed so perfect to her. As they parted, they kept close enough that their lips were barely touching and she breathed deeply. "That... that was very nice..."

Legate Kell had no idea what to expect. He'd been talking to his son and the girl when the communication was cut short. Neither nor any of the others aboard could speculate as to what had gone wrong so he was, as ever, fit to be tied when the Galor class ship approached the pirate ship the two young people had taken over. He and a squad of armed security officers beamed over to what had to be the bridge of the vole trap, their fingers ready to fire.

Kell blinked. His son had that blue haired Bajoran girl in a close and, it seemed to him, a very friendly embrace. "Should I have knocked first?" the legate asked dryly.

Taline instantly flushed scarlet as she peered over at the legate and grinned. "Don't shoot, we come in peace," she offered with sparkling eyes even as she kept her arms around his son.

Torvan absolutely grinned with relief when he saw his father though he kept his arms around Taline. That many Cardassians, especially armed to the ridges, could be overwhelming. "It might have been nice if you did, sir" he said deadpan. "I would have made the Orion serve tea."

Kell snorted in amusement then subtly gestured for the others to lower the weapons. "I'd rather choke, thank you, son. Your comm went dead."

"The chips fused, and we can't find any spares," Taline said, her eyes glancing at each gun in turn, but she knew they weren't for her. "We didn't even get a chance to call my Mum."

"That can be arranged." Kell said easily. His engineer could either fix the damned things or scuttle the ship. "Are you unharmed, either of you?"

"My left ridge still aches, even after Taline massaged it," Torvan admitted, feeling a bit silly complaining to his father like a child yet also immensely relieved at being able to do so. "He wanted her, not me."

"I don't think he hurt me, I don't know what happened really after he captured me," she admitted shyly. "He just wanted my Dad. The guy really hates him."

Kell hmmphed softly.  "Who is he that he angered the Orion?"

"Eislin Rissa, sir," Taline said softly, feeling a little edgy about giving her father's name out so easily. "Ex-Maquis, a freedom fighter for Bajor and a good man."

"Would it offend you, child, if I said I've never heard of him?" Kell asked. "I'm not quite old enough to have been there at the time of the Occupation. I have nothing against Bajorans myself nor you." He gave an indulgent smirk and reached to pat his son's cheek. "Obviously my boy doesn't either. As to the Orion..."

"Can I kill him?" Torvan asked.

Taline blushed again but smiled at Kell then she elbowed Torvan. "I think my Mum might have something to say about that. She probably wants to take him apart." Turning back to Kell, she shrugged. "You might not know my Dad but you might know her, since you knew who Rea Joban is. Her name..."

There was a sound of a transporter and three people, all armed, materialised. The moment she did, Elizabeth grabbed the legate, her phaser pressed up against his temple. "Elizabeth Carter, fuckers," she growled. "Get the fuck away from my little girl." she watched as her husband and Philip, who they'd picked on quickly en-route, covered the other Cardassians. "That your little boy, Butcher?" she whispered. "Because if he doesn't let her go, I'm going to skin him slowly."

Kell's eyes narrowed. "I think, Sergeant Major, that you have no idea what you've walked into," he said coldly. He eyed his men. "Do nothing or you will all hear and feel it later."

"Mrs. Eislin," Torvan said carefully.

"Mum," Taline said softly as she carefully let Torvan go but made sure to keep herself between the others and him. "He saved me from the Orion. They're not bad people."

"They're Cardassians," Elizabeth spat.  "They're monsters."

"My son is no monster," Kell said tightly. "What is it going take?" Torvan asked, taking a step forward toward Taline, his hands out. "I happen to actually like--"

For a man of his age, Rissa was in more than good shape. Without warning, he whipped around, his fist flying. It struck Torvan squarely on the jaw, knocking the boy flat. "Stay away from my daughter, you scaly bastard," he hissed, one strong hand reaching to grab Torvan by the shirt. "My wife won't be able to skin you alive before I do."

"DADDY!" Taline yelled, her hand holding onto where Rissa held Torvan. "He saved me! It's not him who took me, it's an Orion called Xid! He hates you so much he wanted to lure you here." It was all said in a fast stream, trying to say it as quickly as she could before her father hurt Torvan any more.

Rissa dropped Torvan, who dropped with a thunk and a heartfelt 'ow'. Still keeping an eye on the boy, he asked, "Xid? Xid Sllih? Big, fat slimy SOB with jeweled teeth?"

"That's him," Taline shuddered. "Really smelly too. Said he hated you and wanted me to call you. But he wasn't smart enough to trace the call so we called Torvan's Dad instead."

"Taline didn't want to endanger you, sir," Torvan muttered, rubbing at his jaw. "The Orion has a serious grudge against you for some reason."

Rissa make a rude noise. "That bastard and I have been at each other's throats for longer than you've been alive, boy. Elizabeth, how did he know she's mine?"

"Look at her, baby," Elizabeth said with a sigh as she lowered her phaser and stepped back from the legate. "There's no one else's daughter she could be."

"She's very pretty, Mr. Eislin," Torvan said as he carefully climbed to his feet. He edged over to his father and offered Elizabeth a careful smile. "She looks like you both."

"Boy, you listen to too much of your grandfather's routine," Kell snorted with some amusement. "My father has become a ladies' man in his old age."

"Hmph," Elizabeth snorted. So she wasn't actually aiming weapons at them any more but there was no way she was going to trust them. Her phaser was still in her hand as she approached her girl, her thought to put her arms around her, but as she got close another transporter sounded and Taline was beamed away in a flurry of atoms. "TALINE!" she screamed.

Torvan paled then grabbed his father. "The Orion!" he insisted. "He must have broken loose."

Kell jerked his chin at a pair of his men. "Go search the ship and bring him back. Alive."

Rissa watched the duo trot off as they were ordered. "Oh no...Elizabeth, Disir's up there alone..."

Elizabeth instantly hit her comm. "Elizabeth to runabout, Disir, baby, you okay?"

Xid chuckled to himself. Stupid kiddies. He was going to kill that ugly girl in front of her father but not now. Not yet. He had to revise his plans. "Stupid kiddies should have killed Xid," he muttered as soon as the power blinked nad dropped the force field. He bolted for the nearest comm panel and nearly cackled with glee. Not just one ship but two! "Oh no, not Cardassians. Cardassians can have lizard boy so Xid will just go to the other."

The first commandment is not to destroy the planet unless completely necessary.