[ussbansheec] Spreading the News

  • From: Rhi <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:28:39 -0400

Spreading the News
Samuel and Miranda Hale

It had taken a lot for Miranda to get herself to leave the bridge. She was safe on the bridge, there she could be Captain Hale, she could do her job which she had to admit she was damn good at. Being alone in her cabin the way she was now left her open to her vulnerabilities and emotions. Standing in her shower as the water beat down on her, she was just Miranda, a woman who’s life was in turmoil with no signs of improvement. Her marriage was over, her soon to be ex-husband was trying to take her kids from her, her baby sister was lost in space maybe even time, her little brother had been betrayed by the woman he loved, and now her father was dead. Was it any wonder she drank so much?

Reaching for the warm towel next to the shower Miranda sighed and closed her eyes as the cool air of the bathroom caused her skin to goose bump. When she’d gotten off shift she’d come back to her cabin to call her siblings, but after talking to the twins she needed a break before calling Sam. She’d stood in the shower until her hands were all pruny but she still didn’t feel up to what she had to do. She knew she didn’t really have a choice, she had to handle everything and she wanted it out of the way before her mother arrived.

Stepping into her bedroom she made her way to her closet. Reaching in she ran her hand along the items hung there before finally grabbing an old faded blue dress shirt. It was her father’s shirt. Just before she left for the Academy the first time she’d snuck into her parents’ bedroom and took her father’s favorite t-shirt and her mother’s favorite old button up; since then every time she’d leave for a new term or a new assignment she’d take something from their closet. Bringing the shirt to her face she took a deep breath and then sighed, the shirt had been through the reclamation unit so many times it no longer smelled like her father.

Miranda hung her father’s shirt back up then grabbed the denim shirt she’d snatched from her mother’s side of the closet. After putting the shirt on she grabbed her own favorite pair of jeans and then put her still wet hair into a pony tail as she made her way to her desk. She had to check her personal calendar to see where her youngest brother was and then put her call in to his hotel room. Sam had picked up an old guitar when he was four and hadn’t been without some kind of instrument since. It went beyond talent, what her baby brother could do was a gift. He’d started his first band when he was twelve, and now toured all over the alpha quadrant with his current band.

When the call went through the Starfleet symbol that had dominated the screen a moment before flickered then faded to reveal a young woman with dark hair and nearly translucent green eyes. Miranda blinked, “Is this Sam Hale’s room?”

“Yes,” The girl replied. She looked Miranda up and down before asking. “Kind of old to be a groupie aren’t ya?”

Miranda narrowed her eyes. “I’m not a groupie.” She had to bit her cheek to keep her voice civil. “I need to speak with Sam.”

“He’s busy.” The girl replied. “How’d you get this number anyway?”
“I’m his sister.” Miranda replied.

Again the young woman looked her up and down. “You must be the Starfleet captain. Hold on, I’ll get him.”

Miranda sighed as she rolled her eyes. Her brother the rock star. She watched as the girl moved off screen and then a few moments later watched as Sam came towards the hotel terminal. Her baby brother was in a pair of leather pants that looked as if they’d been painted on, two leather cuffs around each bicep, chain-bracelets around his wrists, and his chest was bare. For a fleeting moment she wondered when he’d stopped wearing footie Spider-Man pajamas, but then remembered he was a grown man. Older then Evey, younger then Stevie and the baby boy, but still a grown man.

“Hey ‘Randa?,” Sam greeted with a smile which became a little more wicked when he took his sister in. “Hey! Momma’s been looking for that shit, she’s gonna kick your ass when she finds out you stole it.”

A very faint smile appeared on Miranda’s face. “I can handle Momma.”

Sam snorted, “Sure you can.”

She wished they could banter back and forth forever, but this wasn’t why she called. She had to tell him. Sam wasn’t like her, he hadn’t picked a parent like she had. They were all closer to their mother because she raised them while they’re father played space-cowboy, but Sam loved them equally. “Sammy, something’s happened.”

Panic and fear filled Sam’s eyes. “Evey?”

Miranda shook her head. “No, it’s not Evy.” She sighed. “Sammy, Daddy’s dead.”

There was no way he’d heard her right. He sat there staring at his sister’s image, unblinkingly and damn near without breathing.

“Sammy?” Miranda asked after a few moments of stretched silence. “Did you hear what I said?”

Sam shook his head. “No, I didn’t.” He laughed kind of oddly. “For a second I though you’d said Daddy was dead.”

“There was an accident.” Miranda said softly. “The ship he was on exploded.”

“What?” He asked, a slight tremor in his voice.

Miranda nodded, “There were no survivors.”

Sam’s mind raced while the rest of his body felt as if it were in a vice. His father wad dead. When his thoughts slowed down he looked at his sister on the screen. She didn’t look overly upset, her eyes weren’t even red. “’My god, Randa, are you sure?” All his sister did was nod. “Momma…”

“Don’t worry about Momma.” Miranda said softly. “I’ll take care of her, she’ll be here by morning.”

Sam just nodded numbly. Miranda had always been their mother’s protector, hell she’d been lil’ momma for so long he actually wondered for the first time in his life if she’d even had a childhood.

“I’ll handle everything Sammy.” Miranda said after a few moments. “I’ve already called Michelle and Carolyn, and I’m still trying to get in touch with Stevie. When Momma gets here I’ll help her handle what I can’t on my own. Carolyn will handle things there.”

The young man just nodded but then snapped his eyes up to look at his sister. “What about Johnny?”

“What about him?” Miranda asked.

“Have you called him?” Sam asked.

Miranda shook her head. She hadn’t talked to John willingly since she’d left for the academy, she hadn’t talked to him at all in well over five years.

“‘Randa, you need to tell…”

“Michelle or Carolyn will call him.” Miranda cut in. “Right now I have to worry about Momma and Evey. John’s a big man he can take care of himself.” She gave her youngest brother a soft reassuring smile. “If you need me just call ok?”

Sam nodded. “Sure, ‘Randa. Hey, are you ok?”

Miranda nodded, “I’m fine, Sammy. I just need to make sure everyone else is alright.”

“Who’s gonna make sure you’re alright?” Sam asked, his voice sounding like the small boy who going running to his big sister when thunderstorms light up the Texas sky and shook the house.

“Don’t worry about me, Sammy.” Miranda replied. “I’m a big girl. I need to run baby brother. Call me, ok? Love you.”

“Love you too, ‘Randa.” Sam watched as the screen flickered dark and then sighed. He could feel the tears burning his eyes and blinked them away. He sighed as he thought about his family, his mother, his sisters and brothers. Just how much more shit did they all have to take before it stopped?

--

You can always rewrite a plot, but a character that is alive enough to argue with you, to choose things you would not, that's magic, and you don't mess with magic. You accept it as the gift it is, and let it play. —Laurell K. Hamilton