[ussbansheec] Promises

  • From: "Moria Grace" <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:30:45 -0500

"Promises"
Winona Swiftwind and Dane McKenna

Rolling over still in her t-shirt and underwear, Winona bumped against the
slumbering man in her bed. He had his arm draped around her and she knew he was
in his shorts and vest too. Not that he hadn't been sexy enough but he'd been
so adamant about courting her and making sure she was sure, there was no way
she could push him. It'd've been like kicking a large puppy with big, soppy
green eyes and a smile that left her breathless. Nuzzling up against his neck,
she managed to get him to hug her closer without waking him up. A smug grin on
her face, she curled up in the warmth of his arms and fell back to sleep.

He felt a warmth that he'd never experienced before. It was warm, almost
emanating, engulfing, enchanting. He adored it and never wanted to be without
it again. As consciousness slow crept upon him, Dane was suddenly stricken with
a numbing fear. What if it had been a dream? What if what he was feeling was in
his head? He had carried her to her bed, of that he was sure, so the warmth in
his arms had to be her right? Slowly, Dane opened one eye part way to pear at
the what he held and let out a long slow breath of relief when it was her, his
Winona, his beautiful bird.

A cold breeze blew down her neck and she stirred to find Dane awake. "Hey
there," she murmured as she rolled over to kiss him softly. "D'you sleep okay?"

"Better then I have since I joined the marines." Dane replied before leaning in
and kissing her softly. "You?"

"Very well," she purred. "I was all warm and snuggled. Guess this means we
gotta get up, huh?"

Dane smiled as he propped himself up on his hand and elbow. "Well, we are the
bosses of our departments. There's no staff meeting this morning, and I'd much
rather stare at you then a bunch of sweating grunting marines."

"I could sweat and grunt, if you like," she teased, pure innocence on her face.
"Y'know, just to make you feel at home." Oh it was so hard not to just let her
hands wander like she wanted them to. To be safe, she let one of them stroke
through his hair and the other she used to brush at her own self-consciously.

The images running through his mind at the thought of her sweating and grunting
was not helping with his resolve to wait. He really really wanted to see, to
caress what was under that t-shirt and those cute little panties. "Your
beautiful." He said as he reached to take her hair from her hair. "Even bed
muddled."

"Scruffy my mama would call me," she laughed, deep and soft. "You don't have
hair t'muddle. It's just not fair. Maybe..." She ran her hand over it once
more, loving how soft it felt against her fingers. Then she tapped his nose
with her free hand and asked, "Since you didn't like my messin' with my hair,
what should I do to keep my hands busy?"

Dane smiled, a soft blush coloring his cheeks at the new images running wild
through his thoughts. "What would you like to do with 'em?"

Her own colour rose to match his as she smirked. "Use them to take your clothes
off and then mine. But that's not stayin' celibate. That's one step too far.
Unless..." her smirk softened to a shy smile. "We could play around, but
promise to be good. I solemnly swear on my girl scout uniform not to have sex
with you if I can just..." Her hand drifted to the waist band of his shorts and
played very softly under the edge of it.

Dane moaned softly and closed his eyes, his own free hand trailing down her arm
to the hem of her t-shirt and then gently underneath. Her stomach was firm,
muscled, and yet so soft and warm.

That was all it took. Winona stripped her top off in one swift movement then
slid out of her bra, drawing his head toward her and kissing him deeply,
passionately. Allowing her hand to return to the edge of his shorts, she
stroked further down inside it to feel his smooth, warm skin.

She was perfect. Dane couldn't help but to allow his eyes to wonder over her
curves, her skin. "Winona." He whispered in reverence.

"I lied," she confessed with a small giggle. "I was never a girl scout." Biting
her lip, she slid his shorts down his hips. "Sweet man," she sighed as she
exposed him completely. "You're so... perfect."

That made Dane pause, his hand resting on her breast. Perfect? She wouldn't
think that once she saw the scaring on his chest, back, and legs from the
burns. Scares so bad they were never fully regenerated.

He'd stopped and it made her do likewise. "Baby?" she asked, a little confused.
"Did I... do somethin' wrong?"

Dane shook his head and then kissed her softly. "No, darlin'. You didn't do
anything wrong."

"Then what's wrong, baby?" Frowning at him, she slid her hands up under his
vest to stroke his back. It was then that she felt them. But instead of pulling
away, she pressed herself closer so she could explore his burn scars, deeply
fascinated by them. "You're scared of these? Think I might think you're not
perfect anymore?" she asked as she slowly pulled his vest over his head so she
could see their extent.

He closed his eyes and nodded.

She laid her hands firmly on his chest, running them from his collarbone to his
abdomen. "You're stunnin'," she whispered, realizing they covered most of his
body. She couldn't even imagine the pain it must have caused to have received
such horrific burns. "Dane, baby, open your eyes. I'm in love with you, I think
you're the most beautiful and unusual man I've ever met. These just add to you,
make you better, if that was possible."

Dane opened his eyes and looked into hers. The honesty and love he saw in the
dark depths took his breath away. "I love you too my beautiful bird." He held
her tightly, pressing their bodies together and kissed her.

If she'd been stood, she'd have fallen over because of her weak knees. As it
was, she curled one leg over his waist and used it to pull him closer. "We
promised to be good," she groaned as she draw intricate patterns over his back.
"Still want to?"

It was impulsive but he could have sworn he'd heard a soft voice in the back of
his heart whisper, ask her, Copper. Just do it. "Marry me?"

Winona blinked once then grinned. "No," she said, mischief dancing in her eyes.
"Not yet anyway. Soon maybe, but I've got family and friends who're lost. I
won't go gettin' hitched without them."

The disappointment shone in his eyes but he understood. "Banshee? My sister in
law's on that ship, so's her brothers and sisters."

"My cousin Joseph," she said in soft sadness. "It was barely a month between my
lil sister dyin' and the Banshee disappearin'." Closing her eyes tight shut,
she couldn't look at the disappointment in his eyes and feel the grief in her
soul. "I'm sorry," she whispered as she pulled herself off of him and let him
go. "I do want to, just... not yet."

"Mo'd never forgive me if I got married without her to see it." Dane said
softly, suddenly feeling very cold without Winona so close. Then something in
his memory clicked. "Joseph? Swiftwind? Mo's Hawk?"

All she did was nod as she turned a little away from him. "I'm sorry."

"He's kin, Winona, same as Moria. Nothing to be sorry for." Dane told her as he
reached for her no longer able to stand the distance. "We'll wait. It'll give
me a chance to ask you mama and papa for your hand."

Just the slight reminder of Kimi and Joseph left her cold and she shivered as
she cuddled closer to him. "I do love you, y'know. Just need t'wait. I'm
sorry... really sorry."

"It's alright, Winona." Dane reassured her as he held her tightly. Inside he
was kicking himself. He should have known it was too soon, but for the life of
him he'd have sworn it had been his mother's voice telling him too.

"Ask me again when we find Banshee," she whispered. "I'll say yes. I'll shout
it over the comm and declare it to the winds. You will ask me again, won't
you?"

"Yes." He answered before kissing her. "I'll ask once more."

"Just once?" She smiled shyly, kissing him again. "I'll make sure to accept
next time then."

Dane smiled and caressed her face. "I hope so because I don't think I could
handle another no."

"I am sorry," she flinched a little.

"So am I." He said, looking down a little. "Won't be the first time I'll end up
screwing up. It's what I'm best at."

"Screwing up? Baby, I don't understand." Winona found herself frowning again.
"This isn't you. I'm in love with you, I want t'spend the rest of my life with
you. Please, Dane, look at me."

Slowly he lifted his head to look at her and once again the look in her eyes
took his breath away.

"I love you," she said.

Dane kissed her softly. "I love you too."