[ussbansheec] Mercurial

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 18:29:37 -0400

_Mercurial_

by M'r'c'r'l of Reynam and Gordon Mack

Gordon bailed out of the bar as soon as the first chair was thrown. It was his general experience that the first wouldn't be the last and that it would usually be followed by fists and bodies. He knew Security would be there eventually but he was reasonably sure that medics would be needed. The one Klingon looked like he was out to do some serious damage.

Gordon ran into the first Security officer heading toward the melee. "Hey, Lieutenant, do you want me to notify Sick Bay?"

"That bad is it?"

"Oh yeah, there were chairs flying when I left."

"Yeah do that," the woman called as she ran.

Gordon scurried down to Sick Bay, praying that somebody would actually be there this time. There was only one doctor on station and she couldn't be on duty 24/7. Especially, he told himself, when she's so old. When he finally reached the place, he ended up sprawled face down on the deck.

"Hey, damn it!" came an indignant shout. "If you screwed up my crates, you're fixing them."

"What?" Gordon sputtered, forgetting, for a moment, why he was there,

The indignant voice belonged to the black haired lieutenant who was standing up from under a bio bed. Gordon started in surprise at the sight of the man's eyes. They were so vibrantly blue that they seemed to glow and that, combined with his wildly spiked hair, freaked him out more than he already was.

"Do you know how long I've been sorting out those medications?" the lieutenant asked as he advanced on Gordon. He tsked at him and shook his head. "Veeery careless of you. Now what do you want since you probably screwed up my sorting?"

"I was looking for Dr. Ren.  There's a fight at the bar--"

"Oh yeah?" The bright eyes brightened even further as the lieutenant grabbed a med kit. "I haven't seen a decent fight since I left for the Academy."

As the blue eyed lieutenant swept past him, sans uniform jacket, Gordon gaped. "Ah, sir, where are you going? You can't just go and spectate at a fight."

"Sure I can! A good fight always makes for entertainment and, anyway, didn't you come looking for a doctor?" The lieutenant was at the door already. "Doc Reynam's finally in house."

M'r'c'r'l of Reynam moved with all due haste. He'd only been on the station a few hours and this was the first possibility of anything involving a patient. Not even a damned bandaid, he'd muttered. Now, though, he could hear the sounds of furniture smashing and some shouting in Federation and non-Federation languages. Stepping over the body of a prone Marine, he leaned up against a support column outside the bar and just watched, arms crossed over his chest.

"You know, you folks'd make a fortune on Xenex if you sold tickets to something like this," he said idly to a harried looking Security officer.

The man snorted with amusement.  "You the doc that Mack went looking for?"

"Is that who that twitchy fellow was? Yeah, that's me, though. I can triage /if/ things aren't flying around any more. I love a good fight but I usually stay out of other people's disagreements. It's bad for the health, y'know?" Mercurial asked with a genial smirk.

The officer snorted. The doctor, if that was what he really was, looked as though he were perfectly capable of dealing with his /and/ anyone else's fights. "Go on in, Doc..."

"Reynam.  M'r'c'r'l of Reynam.  Now excuse me..."

He stepped over a different Marine, after making sure he was breathing, and into the bar. He climbed onto the one chair in the place that wasn't overturned then looked around.

"Excuse me, people, but I'm Dr. Reynam. If you were fool enough to get hurt then you fall into one of two categories: either you can walk or you can't. If you can walk, then these fine folks from Security get you first. If you can't, I'll get to you eventually," he said with an amused smile. He hopped off the chair then, as he had a second thought, jumped back up. "Ah, one more thing and this goes for both groups: don't, and I do mean don't, throw up on me. That only pisses me off and I guarantee I can hurt you more than you already are."

Fortunately for them, the injured were all walking wounded. That meant Mercurial could triage as Security either arrested or interviewed. The Security boss had to laugh. One Human stood in line to see the doctor and he was looking distinctly green.

"Don't even think it," Mercurial warned, blue eyes narrowing.

The Human had no choice but, rather than face the doctor's wrath, he chose the wrath of the Klingon behind him.

"Wise choice, pal," Mercurial snickered as the Klingon smacked the Human in the head.

The one person in the bar who was left unscathed slipped by them all, an oddly satisfied grin on his face. Still reeking of sherry, Lang tossed Mercurial a mock salute as he left.