[ussbansheec] "Comes Between Me and My Sister"

  • From: Rhi <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:59:43 -0400

"Come Between Me and My Sisiter."
Gillian and Shaylah Kaelyre

Tables clustered close together, a long buffet table taking up the far wall, an open bar in the corner, a speakers platform in front of it all; Gillian sighed as she looked around at the oak walled room. How the hell had she let Shaylah talk her into this? She hated these kinds of things, but her sister had asked in that way that made it hard for Gillian to say no. Standing quietly by the refreshment table, Gillian cradled a cup of mint tea in her hands. Shaylah had excused herself to track someone down, telling Gillian she should mingle. She’d said there were other doctors and Starfleet type people here that could help the hospital. Starfleet always got the new medical technology first, then the larger civilian hospitals, places like Izzy’s uncle’s clinic were always last and it pissed Gillian off. How exactly did that little practice fit into the Federation’s utopianism?

“Gillian,” Shaylah said with a soft laugh. “You can’t exactly meet people by standing there like a wall flower.”

Gillian huffed, “You know I don’t like this high brow functions.” Truth be told she was far more comfortable at a lulu than a formal dinner. Gods what she wouldn’t give to be barefoot on the sand walking through the surf with Izzy’s hand in hers. The redhead sighed again before sipping her tea. She looked up at her sister and tried to give her a smile. “Did you find who you were looking for?”

The eldest Kaelyre daughter nodded, “She’ll be over in a moment. She was speaking with Ambassador Tori.”

Panic flooded Gillian’s stunning green eyes. “You didn’t say she’d be here.”

Shaylah laughed. Apparently many years ago when their mothers severed aboard the original Banshee, Ambassador Tori had taken an interest in their mother. An interest that seemed to grow, especially after their one-quarter Betazoid mother established a full Imzadi bond with a total psi-null full blooded Delosian. “Don’t worry, we’re not Aeriannah. She’s the one with the strongest Betazoid abilities.”

The mention of her sister’s name made Gillian flinch. Annie might have had the strongest abilities, but they all had a hint of something and were connected in the way that most Betazoid families are. She missed her sister in a way most humanoids couldn’t even began to understand.

Shaylah put a hand on her sister’s shoulder and squeezed. They all felt Annie’s loss, but out of the four of them Gillian and Annie had been closest. “She’ll be home soon, Gilli-Bean.”

Gillian smiled softly. She hoped so, she wanted Annie to met Izzy so badly. She also wanted her mothers to meet him, and Lilah too.

“Shaylah,” Called out a new voice. “Sorry that too so long. The Ambassador had quite a bit to say. ”
Gillian snorted. That was the understatement of the year.

Shaylah smiled as she watched a tall, trim, athletic looking woman coming towards them. She had long dark hair and a darker complexion then most Delosians despite Delos being a tropical planet. “It’s alright Amiah. We have personal experience with the Ambassador.” When the woman was standing close to them she motioned towards her sister. “Amiah, this is my sister Gillian. Gilly, this is Amiah Kaemon. Her family is nearly as old as ours.”

By that her sister meant that this woman’s social standing was either on par with their own, or just below them but still within a comfortable range of closeness.

“Your sister has told me quite a bit about you Doctor Kaelyre.” Amiah said as she took Gillian’s hand. “I’m looking forward to getting to know you better while I’m here.”

“Gillian, please.” The redhead said in her best civil voice. “How long will you be on Earth?”

“Not long I’m afraid.” The dark haired woman replied. “Shaylah asked me to come so I could meet you, but I have to get back to Delos soon. I’m chairing the festival committee this season, and we have to began planning for the Queen’s birthday.”

Gillian had zoned out after the ‘I came to meet you’ part. Bright green eyes blinked before she asked, “You came all the way to Earth to meet me?”

Amiah nodded with a bright smile. “It’s a bit old fashion I know, but when Shaylah approached me about it, I had to admit her argument made sense.”

Gillian pasted her best professional smile on her face as she took hold of her sister’s hand. “Would you excuse us a moment, Amiah.” She had a death grip on her sister’s hand as she drug her off towards the bathroom as best she could in heels. Her cheeks were flushed and her body trembled just slightly as she shoved Shaylah inside and the locked the door behind them. Turning sharply on her heel she glared at her sister, “What the hell was that all about?”

“Gillian.” Shaylah sighed. “Really, that was rude.”

“Fuck rude, Shaylah. What the hell was that woman talking about?” She glared at her sister for a moment before adding in a low, almost growling tone, “You were not trying to fix me up with her?”

“She comes from a good family, Gillian.” Shaylah explained. “She’s smart, athletic, funny, she’s just your type. Besides, it would be a good union for both our families.”

Gillian staggered back until she was leaning on the wall. “You’re not just playing the dating game are you? You’re actually fucking talking about an arraigned marriage?”

“Gillian calm down….”

“Like hell I’ll calm down!” Gillian replied. “Arraigned marriages went out centuries ago, Shaylah! Even the Queen marries for love now!” She shook her head in disbelief and then returned her hard, icy gaze to her sister. “You didn’t try this shit with Annie, and you wouldn’t be doing it now if Asarrah were here!”

“Aeriannah’s into women, she behaves like a proper Lady of Delos.” Shaylah replied.

Gillian just shook her head. “News flash sister dear, WE’RE FUCKING FUSONS. We’re not full blooded Ladies of Delos. Why is that stupid title so fucking important to you!?”

“Why isn’t it to you!?” Shaylah asked. “You’re so damn ready to embrace everything but that!”

“That’s not true and you know it!” Gillian yelled back. It hadn’t gone unnoticed that they were yelling, that they were in full blown fight mode, in the bathroom of the Mandarin Oriental. “I’m proud of who I am, all the bits and pieces of who I am. I don’t favor one race over the other like you do. I’m a Human, Betazoid, Delosian fusion; a FUCKING FUSION, Shaylah! A fucking fusion who‘s always been attacked to both men and women! A fucking fusion who’s fallen in love with the most amazing MAN in the world! A fucking fusion who’s going to have that wonderfully sweet man’s child!”

Shaylah opened her mouth to yell back and then stopped. She blinked emerald green eyes several times before finally asking, “What did you just say?”

Gillian had to actually replay her triad in her mind before she could answer. Then she flinched. She hadn’t meant to let that last part spill out like that. Gillian sighed as she felt the burn of welling tears. “Goddamnitsonofbitch.” She muttered before looking at her sister. “Damnit, Shay! I haven’t even told him yet. I wanted Izzy to be the first one to know, but you pissed me off something royal and now look what you made me do.”

“You’re pregnant?” Shaylah asked in disbelief.

Gillian nodded.

“You slept with the beach bum cop?” The older sister asked, still stunned.

“That’s normally how heterosexual humanoids reproduce, yes.” Gillian answered snidely.

Shaylah sighed and then pinched the bridge of her nose. “Gillian, you’re a doctor, how could you be so careless?”

Gillian’s face flushed red again. “Ok, yes, this pregnancy wasn’t planned, it’s a bit of a surprise, but I wasn’t careless. I love him, Shaylah. I’m in love with him. I’ve never loved anyone the way I love Ikelaeli, and I can’t see myself loving anyone else this way either, ever. I see a future with him, Shaylah. He makes me happy. Why can’t you see that? Why can’t you see that he’s a wonder man that I love?”

“Because he’s a man.” Shaylah replied.

“Yes, I’m aware of that. I’ve seen the evidence several times in fact.” Gillian replied snidely again.

“Don’t be crass,” Shaylah warned.

“Don’t be such a bitch.” Gillian replied. The two sisters stood there for several long moments just staring at each other before Gillian spoke again. “Look, Shay, I’m outta here. Do whatever you have to do to get rid of Amiah, I won’t see her, I sure the hell won’t marry her. I’ve found my Imzadi, Shay. Deal with it, accept it, or don’t,” She said sadly. “I really don’t care.” She lied. “But if you can’t find it in you to accept this, to accept him, to accept me, then stay the fuck away from me.”
--

You can always rewrite a plot, but a character that is alive enough to argue with you, to choose things you would not, that's magic, and you don't mess with magic. You accept it as the gift it is, and let it play. —Laurell K. Hamilton