[usf-devel] Spec change proposal : deleting codec IDs for subs, adding new ones

  • From: Christian HJ Wiesner <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: matroska-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, usf-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 12:22:16 +0200

Hi,

as discussed on IRC today with robux4 , Toff and Mosu we will change the
specs soon, more precisely one codec ID will be dropped, being

S_TEXT/ASCII

It will be fully replaced by

S_TEXT/UTF8 .

Cyrius was never using this codec ID from VdubMod, so there shouldnt be
any files created on Windows with this ID, and for Mosu's mkvmerger it
needed a special switch as he was using S_TEXT/UTF8 also by default
. We know very well that we are breaking compatibillity with elder files
created on LInux, where users decided to mux using this ID, but we
estimate the number is very very small ( if there are any ) and we can
simply help those people by remuxing the questionary files in mkvmerger,
when codec ID will be changed to S_TEXT/UTF8 and char set be analyzed.

In addition to that, we will add/alter 2 new codec IDs :

S_SSA will become  S_TEXT/SSA

and

S_ASS will become S_TEXT/ASS

as both subtitles formats are only text based, and to match with our
current terminology.

We will also add

S_TEXT/USF

and

S_IMAGE/USF

If you have any objections to doing that pls. tell me, if not we will
make the changes tonight and they become effective.

Regards

Christian

http://usf.corecodec.org