[usf-devel] Re: Problems with matroska parser filter output pin : its unable to call dvobsub

  • From: "Gabest" <gabest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <usf-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 20:03:04 +0200

> I think that DVobsub has by default a lower priority than the Internal
> Script Command Renderer filter (from Microsoft) for stream coming from
> unknown splitter like the matroska one.

No, it has higher that iscr's... but I havn't have the time to test matroska
with embeded subtitles yet. I think I could debug it out easily.

> In my opinion the best way to resolve the problem would be to use a new
> subtitle MEDIATYPE (or SUBTYPE maybe). It will also make possible to
> distingish subtitles format.

That's an excellent idea, needed to be done to ogm long ago
too. I suggest using a format, what I also forced into avi :), where there
is only one sample containing the whole subtitle file. To save more space it
could be compressed with some lzw coding (I have the source of an gif codec
here somewhere which I made years ago, it is quite simple and short). Or
alternatively, the format block of each sample could tell about the global
style and other info in a predefined structure (more specs to be done,
hehe), and the raw text could have some kind of style mod tags stuffed in
it, but I hate html tags.. they are a pain to parse.

> We must also define a way to inform dvobsub of the language used or if a
> subtitle stream must always be displayed (like closed caption).

This should go into the format block.

> With the flexibility of matroska we need to re-think how subtitles are
> handled :)

"Think! Think! Think!" - Winnie The Pooh :)

http://usf.corecodec.org