[usf-devel] Re: [Matroska-devel] Final call : USF muxing in MKV,and playback on DShow and Gstreamer

  • From: Liisachan <Liisachan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Paul Bryson <atamido@xxxxxxxxx>, Discussion about the current and future development of Matroska <matroska-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 03:33:22 +0900

Paul Bryson <atamido@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:38:21 +0100, Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  From what I understand it's not a USF problem (and USF will not solve=20
> > such problems magically). I know there are some problems but I don't=20
> > know the precise details.
>
> No, but if someone writes a brand new subtitle renderer for
> DirectShow, it could possible eliminate these issues in Windows 98.

That's what I meant.

Besides, altho MPC already supports USF, the USF spec has been
updated heavily, like Unmei said:
"VSFilter supports USF to a certain degree. IIRC it supports
most of the old specs, but it borked in some weird places the
normal user might not even ever use. On the other hand it does
not support any of the experimental features and Gabest is
unlikely to extend its functionality (i fear)."

http://corecodec.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=237
http://corecodec.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=914

Unmei can explain more but the bottom line is, a new filter is
needed, possibly developed from scratch, and if so,
it is supposed to support Unicode etc. independently
from the VSFilter's problems.

For instance, USF is now supposed to support what is
called RUBY, which will rock the subbers in E Asia.
Unmei's rasterizer already supports it too.
There might be more ppl who will praise USF than you'd expect.
I mean it :)

Liisachan

http://usf.corecodec.org