[UNSDB] Re: Web page

  • From: Echo Witch <echowitch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: unsdb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:49:51 +0000 (GMT)

I have to agree with Kyle that Geocities is a good
place to start. Thats where I started the UN Spacy
Database about 7-8 years ago. The only problems with
Geocities are that you are forced to have their
annoying Onscreen Advertising. However it is better
than some other sites which bombard your viewers with
popups. Its annoying but at least Geocities have tried
to compromise.

Secondly your limited with space. I think the space
now is about 10-15 MB, (it was 2MB when I started with
them,) which maybe fine for your average 'Hey here I
am world' sort of person but stats as I know from
extensive experience need images and images chew up
space on a server fast. Thirdly your own popularity
can be your downfall. I get roughly a quarter of a
million hits per month, (if I was getting that a day
however I'd be on about the same hit ration as your
average Porn site.) Wih Geocities if you exceed a
certain incoming bandwidth rate your site is shutdown
temporarily to alleviate the stress on the network.

What you might want to do Oz is speak to Chris Lange,
he provides my site with space and hosting. He can
give you a decent quote and help with the HTML as
well. lanji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  He provides a number of
roleplay sites with space. I know it costs money but
its worth it.

Otherwise if your determined to go Free then Geocities
is a reasonably good bet. I haven't found any free
ones better, but your aware of the pitfalls with it
now though.

Dan

 --- Kyle <newtype_alpha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Goecities
is pretty good if you don't know HTML and
> don't want to spend any money, BUT the best thing
> you
> could do for yourself is to shell out the cash for a
> late eddition of Microsoft Front Page and start a
> page
> on angelfire or tripod. That's an HTML program to
> build web pages where you don't need to know JACK
> SHIT
> about HTML. All you have to do is put things were
> you
> want em and such, but I warn you it's not cheap. If
> you're as broke as I am right now, I'd start up with
> Yahoo Geocities.
>
> --- Wes Ozier <wesozier@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I want to make a RT webpage with al my fan-fic and
> > RPG sftuff. I don't
> > know HTML. Can anyone recomend a good free site
> with
> > a good
> > composer on it?
> > --

> > Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at
> > Mail.com
> > http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
> >
> > Meet Singles
> > http://corp.mail.com/lavalife

> > Archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/unsdb/
> > Administrative contact: listmaster@xxxxxxxxxx

> =====

> "If a person offends you, and you are in doubt as to
> whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to
> extreme measures; simply watch for your chance and
> hit him with a brick." - Mark Twain

=====
Regards

The EchoWitch ;)