[Umpqua Birds] Raven Flights

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 21:04:56 -0700

Hi Folks, forwarding Ron Maertz's comments to me with his permission...
***
Hi Matt,
It is interesting that you mentioned your son seeing lots of ravens flying
over in the evening.  Last August we got a call from a person off
Lookingglass Road (Topaz Lane) to come over and see the same movement.  We
watched for over an hour and saw probably 200-300 fly over in small groups.
I guess this had been going on long enough for him to be interested enough
to contact someone who might tell him about it.  ...  Sounds like you are
on the same flight path and seeing the same movements.
***

 I'll have to keep an eye out to see if these numbers build up. I don't
know if this will happen again this year or not. Would be interesting to
see.  Could be a roost. Could be a post-breeding migration path. Not sure.
Anyone else in the general flight path might take a look in the sky between
6 and 8 pm in the evenings and see what you see.

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR