[Umpqua Birds] Re: Neighborhood Sightings

  • From: Stacy Burleigh <stacymb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: billstinj@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 20:13:41 -0700

Impetus for me to be okay with the 2 large cedar trees on my property!
Thanks for sharing Jimmy.
Stacy
Melrose

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 6:59 PM, James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

This morning I was awoken by a major racket outside my window. I went
outside to watch a couple of Stellar's Jays hopping in and out of a dense
bush, screeching. Within minutes, about 6 starlings flew in to watch, and a
couple of Crows showed up as well. Then, two Eurasian-collared Doves flew
in and landed on the wire, watching. Next, a Scrub Jay flew in to take a
look. A Robin flew in after that, and finally, one of the Green Herons
popped out of the tree in my yard (not the bush where the racket was coming
from) and circled around clucking, before finally taking a vantage point to
watch the action from across the street. Nothing materialized of the
racket, and the observers, including myself, slowly drifted away to find
something more entertaining to do.

Later this afternoon some loud flapping interrupted my yard work as a
Robin chased a female Coopers Hawk over my house. I think the hawk has a
nest in a Cedar down the street. One of these mornings I need to take my
scope over and check it out. The large cedars in Myrtle Creek seem to
attract some neat bird species!

Jimmy

--
James Billstine