[Umpqua Birds] Birds andWaterfall/Koi pond Saga

  • From: Stacy Burleigh <stacymb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: UmpquaBirdList <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 22:34:01 -0700

Well it took the majority of the birds 3 days to get beyond not having the
waterfall and figuring out the water in the planter saucers I placed on the
dry waterfall's three shelves.Thanks Elva about the suggestion of using a
jug of water and a hole for creating a drip along with your beautiful story
of chumming for birds with water. Only the red-breasted nuthatch and
black-throated gray warbler were still unable to figure out this method of
water retrieval (but both species are very nervous and flighty at the
waterfall normally).

Late last night we put the new pump in and started it up this morning.
Harry wanted to get a more powerful pump and my fear became reality when
the waterfall's flow is louder than I want to endure and not so bird
friendly anymore. Harry surmised it would not be a problem for any of the
birds; I figured only the robins, tanagers, and grosbeaks would be able to
handle it. We were both wrong. First of all, not that many species even
came in to the pond area today (totally out of the norm) and those that
did, only the spotted towhees, chestnut-backed chickadees and 1 robin got
in the water. The only other birds that came in, but did not get near the
waterfall was some juncos, 1 orange crown warbler, and a female black
headed grosbeck.
We have now ordered the exact replica of the pond pump that went out but
that won't be in until Friday. I think both the birds and I will be very
thankful to have everything back to normal! And, the expense of 2 new
pumps...well sometimes we don't make the best of decisions :(

Stacy Burleigh
Melrose