[Umpqua Birds] Need Help Id'ing Passerine

  • From: James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:20:53 -0800

Hey everyone,

I birded the blackberry bush patches on Industrial Way Road just off exit
103 today and I cam across a strange bird. It was in with a flock of
Golden-Crowned Sparrows, and when it popped out I could immediately tell
that it was much lighter overall. I got close enough to identify all of the
surrounding birds in the flock, which included a juvenile white-crowned and
an adult white-crowned, but I couldn't figure out what this bird was.

My immediate observations were:

1. It was a much lighter, more pale bird that the golden crowned sparrows
it was perched next too. As I crept closer I was continuously able to pick
it back out when I brought my bins back up to my eyes.

2. It had a very pale head and nape, almost a seemingly unmarked head.

3. It had some strong streaking on the upper part of the breast.

4. It's head profile reminded me of the shape of an amodramus sparrow like
a grasshopper sparrow, or maybe like a goldfinch/siskin, but I carefully
studied my sibley and found it not matching up exactly like those birds.
Close to a siskin, but the barring on the breast was abruptly ended at the
belly. Also maybe a lincoln's but I really studied the head and it seemed
as plain as a golden-crowneds, just without the gold or black.

5. It's tail caught my eye for some reason, something about it seemed
unique, or familiar, or off. I am not sure but I remember looking at it's
tail and thinking: what is up with that tail? It seemed very short, stubby,
and squared off.

6. It seemed a little bit slimmer and smaller than the golden-crowned
sparrows that it was around, but size is difficult to judge, especially
when it is a paler bird.

7. It's bill also seemed more petite than the golden-crowneds around it.

I feel like I am overlooking an ID of what it is, like it's something that
is common around here but I can't put my finger on it. Any thoughts?

I'll definitely be checking it out before school tomorrow.