[Umpqua Birds] Leucism and Albinism

  • From: Robert and Jean Pollock <rjpollock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 14:16:00 -0800

Hi Everyone,

Last week Jeannie and I were out at the BLM ranch on North Bank road and we saw a flock of juncos that included one leucistic male. The bird had a large white cheek patch on one side of its head and a smaller white patch on the other. This bird, the leucisitic Red-tail that we occasionally see near our house, and Matt's reports and photographs of the leucistic Fox Sparrow (http://www.flickr.com/ photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157638840748645/) and the albino House Finch, prompted me to review leucism and albinism in birds. I thought originally that I would write a short article like the one I did on hybridization and post it here, but I came across an excellent article on the Cornell website and I decided to take the easy way out and provide a link instead of preparing a detailed post. Here it is: http://static.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/ Albinism_Leucism.htm

Two interesting things are not mentioned in the article. The first is that there are a number of mutations in birds which result in white feathers other than the albinism and leucism mutations. White Leghorn chickens are one example; they carry a dominant mutation (albinism and leucism are associated with a recessive mutation) which results in their feathers being white. I mention White Leghorns because I did my dissertation on pigment cell development in the skin of chick embryos. If you remove a small patch of skin from a White Leghorn embryo and grow it in culture, pigment cells develop normally as they would in the skin of embryos of colored breeds. There is an inhibitory substance in the blood of White Leghorn embryos that prevents pigment formation.

The other intriguing thing is the random nature of the size and shape and location of the white areas in speckled leucistic birds. It is difficult to understand how such a random arrangement develops in the embryo, but obviously the pigment cells know what's up even though, at present, we don't.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Bob Pollock