[Umpqua Birds] Last few days....

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 22:50:07 -0700

Hi Folks,
  Yesterday (Monday) morning, early, I went by Plat I Reservoir and Ford's
Pond to see what was around before going to work. Plat I has a lot of mud
showing already. Ford's pond has a lot of the "muck" drying up, providing
some shorebird habitat.  Both places had a few LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS and a
single GREATER YELLOWLEGS.  Plat I also had a handful of LEAST SANDPIPERS.
All shorebirds were adults, with some winter plumage (gray feathers)
beginning to show in some individuals. In general there were a lot of birds
around Plat I at that time in the morning: flocks of blackbirds in the
fields, a group of female-like HOODED MERGANSERS was present, lots of
PURPLE MARTINS....

Plat I: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14815267
Ford's Pond: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14815269

I have been working in Glide recently, off Wild River Drive, where a
juvenile COOPER'S HAWK has been calling most of the time while I'm there.
Also saw a COOPER'S HAWK this morning as I drove away from home.

On my way home from from an appointment in Green this afternoon, I was
astonished to see an adult PEREGRINE FALCON beginning an upward soar only
about 30 ft above the ground over this rock quarry looking area just south
of the jct of HWY 42 AND 99, east side. I pulled over to look at it. It
then soared up and up and drifted south.

Regarding RAVENS, we continue to have between 15 and 30 ravens come by,
going NNW sometime between 6 and 8 pm each evening. They come by in a
single pulse lasting just 5-10 minutes.

All the Best,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR