[Umpqua Birds] Immature White-crowned Sparrow

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 18:34:01 -0700

Today at our place in Melrose, I flushed up a streaked immature
White-crowned Sparrow right next to the house. They do not breed anywhere
nearby, within several miles as far as I know. They breed a few miles away
in the Coast Range and in the foothills to the east as well (but Coast
Range is closer for me).

This time of year especially, while we see a lot of young birds, we also
begin seeing "post-breeding dispersant" songbirds. At first, fledged young
stay fairly near the vicinity of the nest, but after a while, the young and
adults of some species begin dispersing. Not migration in the "big" sense
of the word, but definitely moving away from the natal area. So, even
before the major migration that picks up as summer and fall approach, we
begin seeing birds in places that they have not been during the nesting
season. Most notable to me has always been the Black-headed Grosbeaks. They
start wandering noticeably in July and their sharp "peek" call makes them
easily detectable.

Has anyone seen new species/young showing up at your feeders? Or at other
places you pay attention to?

Anyone seen Brown-headed Cowbirds following around some other species?
So far I've just seen fledgling cowbirds following around a male Western
Tanager and a female Dark-eyed Junco.

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR