[Umpqua Birds] Deja Vu: High Cascades Birds, Douglas Co.

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 20:34:19 -0700

I tried to recreate some of Matt Hunter's great sightings in a rushed morning's
birding.

At Thorn Prairie there were 3-4 singing GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES, that many DUSKY
FLYCATCHERS and 2 CASSIN'S VIREOS....all county birds for me.  Unfortunately no
hummingbirds were seen or heard.

At the Diamond Lake South Marsh, accessed by a long walk, I added several
WILSON'S PHALAROPES and a BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER in the forest on the way out.

CLARK'S NUTCRACKERS were heard and seen off Hwy 230 at the snow park (Three
Forks?) but no bluebirds.

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 23:30:36 -0700
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] High Cascades Birds, Douglas Co.
From: matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx
To: Umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Folks,
 Lisa and the kids and I went camping and hiking/exploring in eastern Douglas
County for about 5 days, June 27 to July 2. We camped at Kelsay Valley Horse
Camp, which is mostly for mosquitos, ... I mean for horse campers, with really
nice metal corrals/stalls at each campsite, etc. The area is along the upper N.
Umpqua River (camp is actually on Bradley Creek, a trib) that is east of Lemolo
Lake. Non-horse campers like us had to choose one of very few sites without
corrals, most of which did not have a good tent location (for a family of 5),
but we found one that worked well for us. We walked/hiked in the vicinity
(e.g., along N. Umpqua Trail) as well as taking short trips to within about a
half-hour away, including the SE flank of Mount Bailey, Diamond Lake South
Marsh, some burn areas north of Lemolo Lake, Windigo Pass, Lemolo Falls, etc. I
also took some short trips alone, often very early when all other campers were
snoozing.... Area is beautiful, with lots of wildflowers right now.

I'd love to give more detail on all the sites we visited, experiences, etc.,
but don't have time right now, so ... here's a summary. We spent probably half
our time near riparian/wetland sites, but also visited various conifer forest
types, burns, dry shrublands, and near timberline sites, so touched on quite a
variety. Following are some highlights and then a list of all the species that
were detected.

Highlights for me were:

GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE (1 for sure, possibly 2 or more) in riparian area along
North Umpqua River, adjacent to Kelsay Valley Forest Camp.

High Cascades Species: BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKERS, CLARK'S NUTCRACKER, MOUNTAIN
BLUEBIRDS, MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES, CASSIN'S FINCHES. Always fun to see, as we
usually don't get to see these here at lower elevations. Also FOX SPARROWS as
well as LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, of subspecies only here in the spring/summer. Also,
one AMERICAN THREE-TOED WOODPECKER I put in the highly probable category for
now, because I only heard it drum a couple times and did not see it. The drum
was characteristic for the species, distinctively dropping off in loudness on
second half, the bird did not call (black-backed very frequently call as they
move from one place to another), and the habitat was just below timberline on
the SE flank of Mount Bailey.

Diamond Lake South Marsh: Fantastic place with WILSON'S PHALAROPE, SORA,
VIRGINIA RAIL, WILSON'S SNIPE, SAVANNAH SPARROW. Also there had LONG-EARED OWL,
GREAT HORNED OWL, GADWALL, and GREEN-WINGED TEAL.

Some photos can be viewed at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157634483845799/

Complete List of Birds on Trip in Rough Order of Frequency of Detection
(influenced by much time spent at riparian and wetland sites), 80 species. For
example, species early in the list were detected many times, while species at
the end of the list were detected just once:

Yellow-rumped Warbler
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Western Tanager