[Umpqua Birds] Re: Condor?

  • From: "Robin Hartmann" <robinhartmann@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 14:42:21 -0600

Maybe the sighting was near the “super secret location” mentioned in this
article in “Terra” an OSU publication:
http://oregonstate.edu/terra/2014/10/back-from-prehistory/

From: <muchcatfur@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 22:09:10 +0000 (UTC)
To: <hnehls6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Conversation: Rare Bird Alert
Subject: Rare Bird Alert

I believe I spotted a California Condor last Friday, January 2, while
driving on the I-5 south to California.  This would have taken place around
10:30 am.

The bird was flying north along the river between mileposts 84 and 86 at a
point where there is an opening in the trees flanking the river.

The bird was about twice the size of the vultures in the area, had light
grey under its wings (at least the right wing visible from the freeway) and
had the general configuration of a condor.  I would not mistake a heron, for
instance, for this.  I have herons in my back yard, and this was darker and
bigger.  It was a stunning sight, and puzzling.  Do these things wander this
far north?

Sorry, but driving at 70 mph and trying to get a picture proved impossible -
I thought about it, but realized the danger involved.  Driving home on
Monday, the 5th, I reviewed the location, which is near the Heaven on Earth
Restaurant near Azalea, OR.  The river turns out to be Cow Creek, according
to Google Maps.

Dean Sigler
503-649-2006