[UK TV Freelancers] Update

  • From: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:39:31 -0000

Dear TV freelancer,

Our community at www.tvfreelancers.org.uk
<http://www.tvfreelancers.org.uk/>  is now almost one year old (doesn't
time fly!) - and in that period, purely by word of mouth, we've had well
over 12,000 hits on our forum, and a mailing list that is growing with
increasing speed. In fact, if we needed a 'critical mass' for us to
ensure our success, we can be fairly certain we've reached and even
passed it. And that's without any publicity or promotion, other than
word of mouth; thank you to YOU for making that happen. We're planning a
little get-together in mid-February to celebrate; watch out for further
messages with more details.

Our forum is as busy as ever, and topics currently under discussion
include payment for over-running schedules, poor sound quality on
documentaries shot on DV, BBC working time contract clauses, and the
ethics of making newcomers pay for work experience on film shoots. As
ever there's a wealth of advice on all kinds of subjects, ranging from
holiday pay to insurance, and from training to health and safety. Our
rates forum continues to see regular input from freelancers sharing info
about fees for current jobs, a service which remains a valuable source
of information for anyone negotiating a new contract.

We've also completed the final set of tweaks to the two new databases
which will soon be available to you, enabling you to search for
information not only about rates, but also about other freelancers'
experiences of good and bad employers. These last few changes are now
being programmed and once that has happened, the new databases will be
online.

In the meantime, please pass on our details to anyone you think might
find the site valuable - or just forward this email to as many people as
possible. We still reach a comparatively small percentage of freelancers
- something we intend to change with an energetic publicity drive, once
the new databases are up and running; but word of mouth will still
undoubtedly be our first and best means of attracting new users. Every
person that signs up for the mailing list brings us one step closer to
being an effective pressure group in our own right, able to campaign for
better conditions in the industry.

Best wishes

www.tvfreelancers.org.uk