[UK TV Freelancers] Ageism and exploitation

  • From: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:55:13 +0100

Dear TV Freelancer,

We've already drawn your attention to the piece in the current
'Broadcast' (dated 15th August) about holiday entitlement.

However, probably of just as much interest - or rather, concern - to any
freelancer, is the 'Rough Cut' piece on p. 25 entitled 'Not Getting Any
Younger'. It's already led to a response in our discussion forum at
http://pub72.ezboard.com/fuktvfreelancersfrm4 in a thread entitled:
"Ageism or exploitation?" We would like to encourage you to read the
piece in 'Broadcast', and respond with your views on the attitude it
reflects.

We are now going to be represented on the panel of the forthcoming
'Freelance Hell' discussion at the Edinburgh Television Festival. You've
already contributed a lot of valuable material through us to the
organisers of this discussion. But we'd also like to use the Broadcast
article as a starting point for debate - and that's why we'd like to
hear your specific responses to it. Our spokesperson on the panel may
quote from your response at this discussion, but your identity will
remain anonymous.

Please send your thoughts to: ageism@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx by clicking
'reply' to this email.

Thanks again for all your support,