[UK TV Freelancers] New information resource

  • From: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:25:00 +0100

Dear TV Freelancer,

Firstly, heartfelt thanks to all of you who not only took part in our
survey, but also emailed us your personal experiences about holiday
entitlement. The issue of 'Broadcast' which came out last Friday (15th
August) has an article on p.3 based on our findings, and the results of
the poll are below. It makes astonishing reading.

We've used this issue as the starting point to launch a new knowledge
resource on our site. Here you can read all about the original
intentions of the EU Working Time Directive, its incorporation into UK
law, the most up-to-date case law on the subject, and how employers meet
its requirements. You can also use a handy Excel gadget that shows you
how some employers incorporate holiday entitlement into your rate. Enter
your own details, and you can see exactly how the sums are done, and the
difference it makes to your fee. The new section is at...

http://www.tvfreelancers.org.uk/knowledgeset.htm

...or it's accessible via the 'contents' page of the site. Other issues
will follow.

We created our online community to give freelancers the information they
need to get a fairer deal. This new section is an important step forward
in achieving that goal. Arming yourself with the facts it contains will
help you negotiate in the future.

Thanks again for all your support,

www.tvfreelancers.org.uk

-------------

Survey results:

The holiday entitlement survey is still open at
www.tvfreelancers.org.uk/holidaypoll.htm, but as of Sat 16th August the
results are as follows:

"Please let us know how the issue of holiday entitlement was handled on
your current, or most recent, freelance contract.

(total votes 280)

Holiday entitlement was...

Given on top of your normal freelance rate 47 (16.8%)

Deducted from within your normal freelance rate 111 (39.6%)

Not offered 88 (31.4%)

Not applicable to my contract 26 (9.3%)

A compromise was reached on the rate 8 (2.9%)"