[uae] Re: ToDo list

  • From: Jens <der_nexus@xxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:41:29 +0100

Am 12.03.2004 um 22:16 schrieb Richard Drummond:

> Hi Jens
>
> On Friday 12 March 2004 09:03 am, Jens wrote:
>> can you release a ToDo list of your work on UAE please?? I would like
>> to see at which you program at present on UAE.
>
> To do: all the things I haven't done yet. ;-)

What you say! ;o)

> 2) AHI emulation. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do
> this. I've
> looked at using the SDLmixer library as a cross-platform solution, but
> don't like it much.

This is a vey good thing to do. The sound on the Mac is in special
configurations good but not very effective. (e.g. with AOS 3.9).

> 3) Get SCSI emulation working on OS X. (Still trying to track down a
> cheap
> SCSI burner for my Mac . . .)

Also a good thing, but does it supports nonSCSI devices?? I don't know
about many people with real SCSI devices in their macs.

> 4) Tidy up the bsdsocket emulation - it's a horrible mess, too. Being
> lazy,
> I'd like to re-use as much of the Win32 version of possible (rather
> than the
> current implementation). Advantages: the Win32 version is much more
> complete
> and stable and doesn't require the stub bsdsocket.library. I've done
> some
> experimentation along these lines, but not got far with it yet.

At the moment the bsdsocket emu runs without problems under Mac OS X
;o).

> 6) Support for hardfiles larger than 2GB. Should have done this ages
> ago.

Does anyone use hardfiles greater than 2 GB? I know, the AOA 3.9
supports greater sizes, but in my own amiga, I haven't partitions with
these sizes.

> 7) OpenGL rendering of native screens. Will allow better performance
> on some
> platforms (e.g. OS X) and will mean we can use some of WinUAE's gfx
> filters.

YES YES YES!!! The gfx output is very slow in some configs. My posted
config options (below in the mailing list) runs in a great speed, but
it shows ugly.

Also I would use the Picasso96 emulation in all my PowerBook (15")
resolutions up to 1280 x 854. In 1024 x 768 (maximum at the moment) it
looks a little bit unsharp. Any solution or idea for this??? :o)

> 8) Any other little bits and pieces still to get working: snapshots,
> CD32
> controller emulation, Catweasel support, other things I've forgotten.

CD32 emu is very importent for my (AppleScript)FrontEnd development. At
the Moment I've finished a Frontend for creating Hardfiles/ADFs, for
start games (from ADFs), a Dropper for config files (drop & run) and I
finish the Config Creater very soon (this is a huge thing, so many
options must be implemented ;o)). The biggest problem is, that I can't
change floppies in the running emulation without "UAE-Control" from the
Workbench. I've no idea how to communicate with running tasks from
Applescript, and I don't know the commands to change the floppies.

If you want, I send you the pre-release of my frontends. The complete
solution will released if the last big thing (Config creator) is
finished.

> Longer term goals include:
>
> 1) Port the JIT engine to PPC. This  is in progress, but still a long
> way off.

A very very very very ... needed thing in this emulator ;o). Speed is
the best!!

> 2) PowerUp/WarpUp emulation on PPC hosts. I've done some
> exerimentation to
> prove this is feasible. Requires item 5, above.

This is your best idea in this project ;o). But is here really needed a
JIT? ShapeShifter or FUSION (for Amiga) had tunneled the 68k CPU (as
much I know). Is this not possible for the PPC CPU?

> 3)  GNUstep/Cocoa GUI. I'm still getting to grips with Objective C and
> GNUstep/Cocoa. Why GNUstep? It's fairly compatible with Cocoa and is
> easier
> for me to work with. My Mac is too slow for doing real development on.

My Desires are heared!! ;o) What a Mac do you own??

> 4) Ethernet emulation. The idea here is to create an ethernet tunnel
> to the
> host using the Linux/BSD Tun/tap device or similar, and thus allow
> fuller
> networking support. (This is how Bochs, Mac-on-Linux, etc support
> networking.)
> 5) Any other ideas that I can think of.

Floppy sound?? ;o)

> Any comments?
>
> Cheers,
> Rich

PS: I got response from the CAPS guys.:

> Drummonds UAE is also available for this platform. I'll love to see
> CAPS ipf images played on my MAC on Mac OS X.

Me too. Unfortunately, we do not yet have the equipment to do that.
However, we are hoping to put MacOnLinux/OSX in an AmigaONE machine and
compile it using that.

As soon as we can afford a copy of OSX to do this, we will release a
port of the library asap.

Greets Jens