[uae] Re: OpenGL?

  • From: anarkhos@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 18:28:38 -0700

At 10:12 PM -0400 5/5/06, Richard Drummond wrote:
> > I don't really understand the OpenGL discussion.
>
>The principle advantage of using OpenGL for rendering on OS X is that it fits
>in better with how the Quartz compositor works, so should allow better
>performance in windowed mode.
>
>Basically, E-UAE will render to a software buffer as usual, this gets uploaded
>to the video card as a texture and blitted to the screen using 3D hardware.

The OpenGL 'solution' was only necessary due to Quartz being slow and only
having a double-buffer mode (no way to blit to the frame buffer). These are no
longer problems, even if you don't have QE. Flash, QuickTime, and Classic, as
examples, aren't double-buffered (in Quartz). In previous OS X versions, using
non-buffered views would cause video tearing.

To my knowledge, SDL still can only use double-buffered views when in windowed
mode. This is an SDL issue only.

>As a side-effect you get OpenGL scaling/filtering basically for free - which
>is nice.

Quartz also uses OpenGL for scaling, so again, I don't think this is an issue
any longer.

That being said, it still may be useful on other platforms.