[uae] Re: OpenGL

  • From: anarkhos@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 00:37:11 -0700

>This is not going to work.. (except in some special cases like plain workbench
>screens) Think about copper mid-screen color changes (very common), sprites
>and sprite/playfield priorities, dual playfield, ehb, ham etc..

All these emulations still create a frame buffer in bitplane format, no?
Editing this frame in this format then flushing the whole frame through OGL
would still be faster than converting the whole frame to chunky then flushing
it.

So I fail to see why it wouldn't work, at least for 32bit mode.

I wish to add that it may be possible to program the fragment processor to
perform this and other video emulations without vendor-specific extensions.
This means anyone with OGL 1.4 (which has been around for ages) could take
advantage.

I must admit that I don't know much about all the various Amiga chips. However
the fragment processor can run independent of the CPU and AKAICT can block the
CPU in a UMA-ish manner. If you don't think this would work I would appreciate
a more in-depth explanation why. I don't have any original Amiga documentation
to go by here.