[uae] Re: E-Uae slow downs on EeePC 901 (Intel Atom) and Ubuntu

  • From: Andrew 'Truck' Holland <truck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 20:15:45 +0200

On So, 28 Dez 2008, Thorsten Mampel wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I want to use Amikit on my EeePC with Ubuntu 8.04.
> If I start the emulator it runs fast and good, but after a few seconds
> the speed slows down to "unusable". I could see with a little tool, that
> the CPU-usage turn from half to none. :-(

I've used E-UAE, no Amikit, with Arch Linux on my EeePC.  I don't have this
behavior.

I've got an Aspire One with an Atom processor, as well, it also doesn't have
this issue.

> If i click to another window, maybe to Opera or any other app, the
> CPU-usage switch to half and E-Uae runs fast again. This stays as long
> as I use UAE or start an app in UAE, maybe a demo. But If I didnt use
> UAE (call it "standby") it slows down and didnt speed up by its own. As
> written, I need to switch to another app.
>
> It looks for me, that the Intel Atom go to sleep and E-UAE is not able
> to wake it up again.
>
> Any solution ?

I would suggest not using Amikit, but a stripped install first to see if
Amikit's extra apps and so on are causing an issue.  (By the time I got Amikit
to install without using Windoze I'd found that I didn't want 90% of the stuff
anyway; and as all was installable by hand...)

I'd then try another window manager, not Gnome or KDE, and see if those are the
issue.  Start in 'safe xterm' mode and then run both e-uae and something else
(using control-z to suspend, or screen to start 2 terms, or just execute
another xterm.)

Those 2 things should eliminate any outside influences that I don't have in
mine (as I'm using xmonad and workbench setups set up for programming and not
eye candy.)