[uae] Re: Catweasel support?

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:56:42 -0500

Hi Keith

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 08:40 pm, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> The ISA controller isn't PnP anyway, so kudzu doesn't probe for it on
> each boot. Currently I have to modprobe it in the rc.local, so removing
> that is no hassle. Dunno about the PCI version though, but then I guess
> you can always disable the kudzu service

I imagine that kudzu could support the PCI catweasel - although the card's PCI
ID is rather odd. According to the PCI database, it's a Tiger Networks ISDN
card.

> (do you have that at all on non-RedHat distros?).

It's used on a few other distros. I don't have it here - or, in fact, any
hardware detection system at all. But then I'm a masochist (Well, Debian
user. Actually, the next Debian release will have hardware detection.)

> I s'pose you could always write a wrapper for UAE that looks for, then
> rmmod's the driver if it's loaded, then reloads it after UAE quits.
> Simple enough.

I don't think that's something I want to get into. Somebody else can do that
if they think it's necessary . . .

> I don't suppose the affs module makes any difference to
> UAE one way or the other.

No. Unless you want to mount an FFS partition as a virtual disk rather than as
a hard file.

> I'd quite like to get the PCI version, if only I had a spare PCI slot :(

;-)

The cool extras for Amiga emulation purposes in the MkIII are the joystick
ports and a connector for an Amiga keyboard. (I've not tried the latter,
though.)

> There's quite a few things I'd like, but then they're all on hold until
> I do a mobo upgrade. The graphics card is next on the list. I'm
> currently using a 2nd generation NVidia chipset ... and the latest is
> ... is it ... 8th generation ????

Better than me. I've got a Matrox G200 here. Since I'm not really into 3D
games, this card has served we well.

> I upgrade my hardware about once every 50 years, my last PC was an
> ALTAIR 8800, and I only bought that because the paint had worn off my
> abacus :)

My PC's getting rather old and shabby too. I'm thinking about upgrading the
mobo, mainly because I need some more memory and I begrudge the prices
they're asking for SD-RAM DIMMs these days. :-( Well, no. That's how I'm
going to justify it to myself. I just want a new motherboard, dammit.