[u3aavcuss] Re: avg 9.0

  • From: "Mike Bean" <Mike.Bean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 15:24:18 -0000

Diana,

To gain the best protection daily scans are required but they need not slow
everything up.

You can choose when the daily downloads are done and scans are carried out
and, to a certain extent what gets scanned (by file type and location on
your machine).

I think the AVG default is that any update waiting and whole-system file
scan and e-mail scan are initiated at start-up ... probably the worst time,
from the user's point of view, they could happen.

Double-click on your AVG multi-coloured icon on the system tray and click
the Tools menu and the Advanced Settings button.

There a lot of things you can fiddle with here but let's just concentrate on
rescheduling the heavy activities:

In the 'Advanced Setting' panel there is an Explorer-like hierarchy of
settings - find 'Schedules' and open it to show 'Scheduled scan', 'Virus
database update schedule' and 'Program update schedule'.

Scheduled scan

Three tabs:

Schedule settings - here you can change the frequency of virus scanning -
various day and time options available (I now have mine set at Monday,
Wednesday & Friday at 12.00)

How to Scan - I'd not touch most of the settings here except

a)       to make sure that the 'Selected file types' have the 'Scan
infectable files only' selected and

b)      consider different positions of the 'Scan process priority' slider
(Slow, Auto, Fast) - Slow might suit you 'low impact over a longer period'
or Fast, 'high impact for a short period' (the auto is supposed to take
account of what you are trying to do at the same time but that's not
happening for you right now)

What to Scan - I choose just to scan my C: drive but any disk choice (or
folder, just below) is a bit more risky - you have to know what you've put
where to be sure about these choices.

Virus Database Update Schedule

Timing of this, if changed, should be set relative to the scan frequency -
either you download updates before you need them or they are not ready
before updates are run. It might be safest to leave things as  they are as
downloads are only carried out if there are new virus signatures to add and
you've got to load them eventually. But the time of day they are loaded
could be tuned to your usage.

Program Update Schedule

Much the same as the database update but much less urgent. Time of day could
be changed.

(Note, unless you change some other parameters hidden here somewhere the
time you set really equals 'earliest time' so if you set a scan, say, for
14.00 and the PC's not on then, the scan will start almost immediately after
the PC is subsequently started.)

These (above) perhaps have the most effect on the impact of running the
virus scanner - try these and report back to your enthralled audience!

Mike

  _____