[u3aavcuss] Digital Photo display order - Digital Picture Frames

  • From: "Mike Bean" <Mike.Bean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:24:01 -0000

Following Pat Baker's query about the presentation order of digital pictures
and Ron Meadowcroft's response I am reminded of a problem I had with a
digital picture frame.

These are becoming quite popular now for showing off the holiday pictures or
keeping the whole family happy with a rolling portrait gallery but I had a
strange problem with mine that would not display the pictures in the order I
wanted.

I had done a little trial and found that the frame was using the alphabetic
order of the picture file names and using say pic001.jpg, pic002.jpg and
pic003.jpg it did indeed show them in the right order but when I put
hundreds of pictures on the frame it showed them in quite the wrong order
BUT always the same wrong order.

After much fiddling around I found that although my pictures were indeed
named alphabetically in the order I wanted them, the names were long, like
2007-India004.jpg, 2007-India006.jpg and the picture frame software was only
sorting the pictures using (I determined) the first 8 characters of the file
name so it treated these pictures as if they were both named 2007-Ind. They
would both be shown but not necessarily in alphabetic order - perhaps in the
order they were stored on the device!

So when you choose the set of images you want on your picture frame AND you
are interested in the order they are shown then make sure that they are
ordered in the first 8 characters of their names.

Mike Bean