[u3aavcuss] Re: Computer virus warning

  • From: "Mike Bean" <Mike.Bean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 11:14:50 -0000

It is never wise to be too blasé about bogus warnings if imminent corruption
and/or corruption of our PCs through the action of rogue mail items and
attachments but to just pass them on and spread probably unfounded fears
amongst your friends is not necessary the most helpful reaction.

In this case, and so far in all the reactions I have posted here to such
warnings, a single web search has put the validity of the warning into
context and described what action to take – if any.

This simple action is to put the title or a significant part of the warning
into the search bar of your favourite search engine and on the first page,
often as the first entry will be a link to Snopes, a trusted site that
describes the nature of threats (real and hoaxes) and any variants that have
turned up in the past. It makes a synopsis of the actual danger and, as
above, advice on action.

In this particular case ( using exactly: "postcard" or "Hallmark postcard")
there are several pages from different organisations, headed by Snopes, with
useful comments.

This threat is not a clear-cut hoax as there was an issue in 2007 which has
been subsequently included in virus checking programs but, for example,
Snopes gives a simple process you can use to avoid any danger.

Many of the site you find talking about the hoax will also give you methods
to avoid new viruses and Trojans although some of them will be wanting to
sell you their product!

As an aside a message containing a threat usually is written in very poor
English using mixtures of fonts and layoput that should put you on your
guard from the get-go.

If there’s one rule you could follow and that is never to double-click on an
e-mail attachment without either being sure of its provenance or saving it
somewhere and running a virus check on it.

MIke