[tutortrainers] Re: conference program

  • From: "Ivette Yu" <iyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tutortrainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 12:09:21 -0400

Hi Jessica,

While I don’t have any close recommendations for your added presentations for
November, I can share with you some presentations that I thought were great
from the 2 conferences I attended this year.  One of these (Storytelling Arts)
is probably a paid lecture, but I’m mentioning it anyway.

At the NJALL conference, I also enjoyed the presentation given by Perrine
Robinson-Gellar.  Her presentation there focused on directed reading-thinking
activities and she used a great story as an example.  This would be great for
our tutors.

Also from the NJALL- Lauren Schmidt (English instructor at Passaic County
Community College) did a presentation on using poetry as a relevant tool for
English reading and comprehension and reminded us to not think of poetry as
“old-fashioned” by using classic poets like Shakespeare etc. when working with
poetry and literacy students.  We did several exercises with modern-day poets
that dealt with current and urban topics.  Lauren was very enthusiastic and
gave a presentation full of energy.  This would be a fantastic presentation for
our tutors.  Her email is lschmidt@xxxxxxxx and phone 973-684-4826.

From the NJTESOL conference:

We attended a presentation given by a teacher from Franklin Township.  Although
he works with ESL children- he went over some practices that I think could be
used with low-level learners for our programs.  His name is Jeffrey Linn and
his focus was on using new signals/meanings and associating them with
vocabulary.  He presented a theory of “monosemy” (1 meaning) and  showed us how
words that contrast in their meaning can be crucial to comprehension and the
use of our language.  His email is jlinn@franklin boe.org

I attended a storytelling workshop put on by Storytelling Arts (I’m sure you
have heard of them) which was very animated.  Their website shows many
storytellers in their organization and the one that did the presentation that
day was Julie Della Torre.  She used a folktale and showed us techniques to be
used with students on both telling a story to a group, but also showing
students how to get up and tell a story themselves.  There were so many
benefits (for both the storyteller and listener) of what she was teaching us,
like how it can build a sense of community, language comprehension, confidence
and motivation.  Their website is storytellingarts.net

Hope some of this is helpful...
Ivette