[TURC] unionization and fringe benefits

  • From: "Lynne Fernandez" <lynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 08:39:03 -0600

** File was empty **
I'm updating a chapter in a book on the social determinants of health and can't find more recent information on unionization and fringe benefits. I want to update the following information:

"Most unionized workers are covered by sick-leave provisions protecting them from loss of income when absent from work because of sickness; the majority of non-union members are not. A 1999 Statistics Canada survey revealed that 83.7 percent of union members were covered by a supplementary medical plan, 76.3 percent by a dental plan, 78.2 percent by liability and disability insurance, and 79.9 percent by an employer pension plan. The comparable rates for non-union members were 45.4, 42.6, 40.8 and 26.6 percent (Akyeampong 2002: 42-46)."

Does anyone know of more recent data?

Thanks, Lynne

Lynne Fernandez
Errol Black Chair in Labour Issues