[TURC] Re: living wage language

  • From: Brad Walchuk <bwalchuk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 09:26:54 -0500

Hi Lynne

The issue of a living wage has come up here at McMaster, especially around
the negotiations between the university and the Building Union of Canada
(BUC), which concluded about six weeks ago.  I am not sure if the phrase
itself appears in their new CBA (you might want to contact Peter Foulds,
their Director of Operations), but certainly the concept was well
publicized and politicized here on campus, and one of the main goals was a
living wage for the 'cleaners' job classification. This was an initiative
that Don Wells from the School of Labour Studies helped to bring to light
here on campus.

I am told that the $15/hr wage (coming into effect in 2016) for apprentices
in the new CBA between McMaster and the Operating Engineers is linked to
the concept of a living wage, though I have also been told that no one is
actually in this job classification at the moment.

In solidarity
Brad

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 7:27 PM, Lynne Fernandez <
lynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ** File was empty **
> I'm on a steering committee for a living wage campaign in Manitoba and the
> question came up from a union colleague who is also on the committee. Does
> anyone know of any union contract language that talks about a living wage?
> Has the concept/term found its way into contract language?
>
> Thanks, Lynne
>
> Lynne Fernandez
> Errol Black Chair in Labour Issues
> Project coordinator
> CCPA Mb.
> 205 - 745 Main Street
> Winnipeg MB.
> R2W 3N5
>
> 204 927 3207
> lynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> UNIFOR 567

Brad Walchuk
Staff Representative
Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 3906
1280 Main Street West
Kenneth Taylor Hall, room B111
Hamilton, ON L8S 4M4
905-525-9140 x24056

***If you have an accommodation need for a planned meeting, please e-mail
me directly and I will do my best to make the appropriate arrangements.
Should you require any materials sent via this e-mail address in an
alternate/accessible format, please contact me.***