[TURC] The Federal Reserve and Shared Prosperity

  • From: "Thomas Palley" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TURC" <turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:42:39 -0500

Dear Friends & Colleagues,

I have recently written an op-ed for The Globalist titled
<http://www.theglobalist.com/the-u-s-federal-reserve-and-shared-prosperity/>
"The US Federal Reserve and Shared Prosperity" [HERE]. It is based on a
longer article titled
<http://www.paecon.net/PAEReview/issue70/Palley70.pdf> "The Federal Reserve
and Shared Prosperity: A Guide to the Policy Issues and Institutional
Challenges" [HERE].

In the wake of the Great recession, monetary policy focused on quantitative
easing. Now, there is talk of normalizing monetary policy and interest
rates. That conversation is important, but it is also too narrow and keeps
policy locked into a failed status quo. There is need for a larger
conversation regarding the entire framework for monetary policy and how
central banks can contribute to shared prosperity.

I hope the paper can help promote that conversation. Please feel free to
share it with others who may be interested in this subject.

Best,

Tom Palley

Thomas Palley

Tel: (202)-667-5518

e-mail:  <mailto:mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 <http://www.thomaspalley.com/> www.thomaspalley.com

Financialization: The Economics of Finance Capital Domination,
Palgrave/Macmillan, paperback edition, 2014, available at Amazon.com, $35.