[TURC] Stagnant wages outside the oil boom provinces

  • From: Michal Rozworski <michal.rozworski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:09:27 -0800

Hi all,

This might be useful: a quick blog showing that wages have been basically
stagnant since the recession ended in 2009 if you subtract the oil
provinces from the Canadian aggregate (which still leaves ~83% of workers).
The same division into oil and RoC also shows very limited wage growth
since the turn of the millennium.

https://politicalehconomy.wordpress.com/2015/02/25/stagnant-wages-for-over-80-of-canadian-workers/

Not sure if others have done this, but I suppose once more doesn't hurt
either. Especially since I still keep seeing the meme that wages aren't
stagnant in Canada at all lately, ergo we can't compare Canada to the US
(implicite: rising inequality isn't that big a problem, etc).

Cheers,
Michal