[TURC] Global Labour Speakers Series, Wed Feb 25 - Controversies in Working-Class Consciousness: Ford Nation v. the Toronto Left

  • From: "Mark Thomas" <mpthomas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 17:44:12 +0000

The Global Labour Research Centre is pleased to host

Controversies in Working-Class Consciousness: Ford Nation v. the Toronto
Left

with

Joel Harden, Author and Lecturer, Department of Law and Legal Studies,
Carleton University

Maureen O'Reilly, President, CUPE Local 4948, Toronto Public Library
Workers Union

Rinaldo Walcott, Director, Women & Gender Studies Institute, University of
Toronto

Wednesday, February 25
12pm - 2pm
Ross S701, York University

This panel-discussion will explore the contradictions of contrasting
appeals to working class consciousness in Toronto politics. On the one
hand, we review the influence of Ford Nation, and its appeal to voters
(notably racialized voters) in Toronto's inner and outer ring suburbs. On
the other hand, we also review the increasingly "middle class" focus of the
recent Olivia Chow campaign, and similar "hearts and minds" union campaigns
for "fairness". We ask which strategy is making greater inroads in
political, cultural, and sociological terms.
Refreshments will be served. All are welcome.

For more information about the Global Labour Research Centre, visit our
website: www.yorku.ca/glrc

The Global Labour Speakers Series at York University is a collaboration of
the Global Labour Research Centre, the Work & Labour Studies Program, the
Canada Research Chair in Comparative Political Economy, and the Canada
Research Chair in the Political Economy of Gender & Work.

The event is co-sponsored by York University's Departments of Social
Science, Sociology, Geography, and Political Science, the Office of the
Dean - LA&PS, and the Office of the Dean - Osgoode Hall Law School.

Global Labour Research Centre Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional
Studies | York University4700 Keele St. | Toronto, Canada, M3J 1P3N808 Ross
Building416-736-2100 x44704www.yorku.ca/glrc |
https://www.facebook.com/glrcyork | https://twitter.com/GLRC_York