re: Compton/Erlich temperament

  • From: Carl Lumma <carl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tuning-math@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:05:31 -0700

>I don't know if there's a way to reply directly to a message in the list
>archive,

There isn't -- you have to have the message somewhere.  I thought web
users could use web-based e-mail, but I hadn't considered this weakness.

>i don't know who compton is,

According to Code's article in the latest CMJ (on the Groven piano),
John Haywood Compton was awarded a British patent in 1933 for an
"enharmonic" organ which would automatically switch pitches on a
standard keyboard with those on a virtual keyboard 15 cents lower.
Harold Waage proposed much the same thing in 1988.

In 1997 at Barbershop Harmony College, one of the 'profs' had a
keyboard known as the "Just Intonation Trainer".  I forget the
maker, but it apparently dated from the 70's.  It had two virtual
keyboards; 15 cents lower and 30 cents lower.

-Carl

with the subject line "info tuning-math".  Or visit the
website:  < //www.freelists.org/list/tuning-math > .