[tuning-math] Re: A common notation for JI and ETs

  • From: "gdsecor" <gdsecor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tuning-math@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:17:29 -0000

--- In tuning-math@xxxx, "dkeenanuqnetau" <d.keenan@xxxx> wrote:
> --- In tuning-math@xxxx, "gdsecor" <gdsecor@xxxx> wrote:
> > I would therefore recommend going back to the rational
> > complementation system and doing the ET's that way as well.
>
> Agreed. Provided we _always_ use rational complements, whether this
> results in matching half-apotomes or not.

In other words, you would prefer having this:

152 (76 ss.):  )|  |~  /|  |\  ~|)  /|)  /|\  (|)  (|\  ||~  /||
||\  ~||)  (||~  /||\

instead of this:

152 (76 ss.):  )|  |~  /|  |\  /|~  /|)  /|\  (|)  (|\  ||~  /||
||\  /||~  /||)  /||\

even if it isn't as easy to remember.

I suggest that you try some more ET's before insisting on rational
complements across the board.  In addition to less memorable symbol
sequences, strict rational complementation will also result in some
bad symbol arithmetic in instances where the complement symbols are
not consistent in some ET's.  I will accept some symbol arithmetic
inconsistency (e.g., with ||) in 72-ET), if it isn't too
disorienting, but I think that users will need all the help they can
get to keep the symbols straight in the larger ET's, and too many
flags and bad symbol arithmetic aren't going to help.

> > I would be agreeable to doing all of the ET's (with the rational
> > complementation scheme) using the symbols that we agreed on in
> > message #4443.
>
> OK.

I erroneously stated that everything that we last agreed on (using
what I would call "inverse complements") would stay the same.
However, there is one exception.  This:

32:  )|  /|\  (|)  (||\  /||\  (DK - inverse complements

would become this:

32:  )|  /|\  (|)  (||~  /||\  (rational complements)

To this I am agreeable.

> I will respond to your suggestions for the remaining ones of 6 or
less
> steps per apotome when I get more time. ...

My time will also be rather limited for at least the next several
days, so I will not be working on this a great deal.

--George

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3PCXaC/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/wHYolB/TM

with the subject line "info tuning-math".  Or visit the
website:  < //www.freelists.org/list/tuning-math > .