[tssg-tech] Technical Skills Share Group Meeting; Wednesday, September 22nd Agenda

  • From: "James Drewniak" <idmnstr2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tssg-chelmsford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:20:42 -0400

Technical Skills Share Group Meeting;

Where: Chelmsford Public Library, McCarthy Meeting Room
 <http://www.chelmsfordlibrary.org/library_info/directions>
http://www.chelmsfordlibrary.org/library_info/directions

or

<http://www.chelmsfordlibrary.org/programs/programs/technical_skill_share_gr
oup.html>
www.chelmsfordlibrary.org/programs/programs/technical_skill_share_group.html

Wednesday, September 22nd Agenda:
1:30 to 3:15 pm, Android Project (Jim Cant)

1.   Setup of development environments.  See what, if any, problems were
encountered in trying to get a "hello world" project running.

2.   Review and discussion of the large scale architecture of the project
from last time.  Get buy-in so we can move forward.

3.   Generate a task list based on the architecture.  These tasks should be
of a size that might reasonably be completed by the next meeting.  Some
examples (off the top of my head).

a.   Define an EBEvent data object which captures the information included
in a posting on the BostonEvents web site.

b.   Define the interfaces for interaction of the major components of the
project.

c.   Define the UI.  The various screens, the commands that connect them,
the actions available on each screen, menus.

d.   The database: create a schema, an interface for clients.

4.   Everybody pick a task (or tasks) from #3 to work on for the next
session.

3:15 to 4:00 pm, Group Networking.

A General/Open time when we can discuss recent status and strategy of
networking for the technical professional.

4:00 to 5:45 pm: Google App Engine in Action! - Coding with J Singh!

We'll build components of a "Personal Resume Tracker". This system can be
used for storing various versions of your resume and cover letter and
sending them out. It will keep track of which version of the resume you sent
out and what you said in the cover letter. We will not build the entire
system in 2 hours -- just key components.

From a pedagogical point of view, the exercise will cover storing data in
the datastore, uploading and downloading documents, composing text on-line
(for cover letters) and the mail API.

This exercise will be a continuation of the previous talk. New people can
attend as long as they have walked through the Hello World example we did
last time. We will do the work on your local machine only.

Afterwards, folks can upload it to Google and use it if they have:

* A gmail account (for authentication). It is possible to build a system
without it but not in the limited time we will have.
* An App Engine account.

About the speaker:
J is the President of Early Stage IT, a firm that partners with early stage
companies on their IT strategy and implementation. His recent work has been
100% in the Cloud Computing area. Recently he has been involved with
launching a GAE- and Amazon-based business, ConnectScholar.com, a web-based
service for high-schoolers for finding and applying for scholarships. J is
an Adjunct Professor of Computer Science at WPI.

What is coming up:

September 29th at 4:00 to 5:45pm, Generic programming and the C++ STL -
Continued (Nainan Kovoor)

Brief review of previous session's materials,  Associative containers -
sets, multisets, maps, multimaps - and associated algorithms, in detail.  An
example using associative containers, Container adaptors, Exceptions and the
STL.

We would also like to thank our sponsors;
-Chelmsford Public Library for the sponsorship of the group that includes
but not limited to; Facilities, Advertising, A/V, and other items.

-SourceHosting.net for outsourced source control and bug tracking services

For further information about the group please contact:
Jim.Drewniak@xxxxxxxxxxx