[tssg-tech] Re: Fwd: TSSG project item

  • From: "James Drewniak" <idmnstr2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tssg-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 18:58:26 -0500

Jack,

I don't have your private email so I can't reply to you alone.  I am sorry
to the other people on this list.

Please accept my condolences on your situation.  My son brought his two cats
home with him when he moved back into our house.  We now think of them as
part of our extended family.  In fact, My son will be moving back out soon.
My wife has told him that the cats are staying.  So, I know a little about
what you are going through.

Best wishes,

Jim Drewniak

From: Jim Peters <jpeters@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Subject: Re: TSSG project item

To: lucy@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I saw a message from Andy just about when I was going to pack up and go, so
it turned out to be a non-issue for me.

At around 2:00 on Friday, I learned I have come down with something the
doctor tells me is known as a "job". I started today.  So obviously I won't
be making meetings on a regular basis.  I would have made last week with a
real computer and monitor.  That's what I get for making such an investment.
( I bought myself a 22 inch monitor and was planning to bring my mac mini.)
So that's my prescription for all of you.

I am working for Dovetail Internet Technologies in Worcester. I ended up in
a different role than what I was describing the last time I made a meeting.
Its an even better fit for my skills so I can meet their needs even more
immediately.  And they are wasting no time in letting me know. ;-)

The paragraph or two answer that occurs to me is that I think it is common
in the industry for companies or open source projects using subversion to
incorporate the number of a subversion changeset into their version number
for a specfic release.  Subversion changest numbers are global and unique
throughout the repository.   This in unlike Clearcase where a version number
you see with a file or directory in clearcase is incremented at the branch
level.

My experience suggests that if I were at a company producing this and trying
to lay the groundwork for what development does and hands off to QA for
Alpha, Beta and "Gamma" or C releases in preparation for FCS (First Customer
Ship) and GA (Generally Available) I'd recommend adopting a four digit
naming scheme where the four numbers stand for
major.minor.maintenance.patch.   The major and minor releases were for those
phases up to FCS and primarily used in development.  When FCS and GA were
done, the world had copies of our code so those numbers had to last and be
cast in stone for legacy.   The system I saw that worked well was to use the
letters A, B, C for the Alpha through Gamma releases.  In the cycle of
things, a final C release became a V release to GA.  The only difference
between C and V was the labeling of it. After that patches and maintenance
releases were done as P to provide a quick fix.  When the collection of P's
since a maintenance release were brought together as the next maintenance,
it was shipped as V2.0.1.0.  Customers understood that V stood for version,
P for Patch.

There is more to how to increment the numbers, that I'll skip explaining.  I
think for the project that if you release something it should be 1.0
followed by 1.1 or 1.2 for small incremental changes.  I'd also figure out
if I'm right about changeset numbers being global and commonly used and then
add them to the version number such as 1.1.101 when you do a build.  Then if
you had a build at About and gave you a version number it would tell you
that this is 1.1 up to change set 101.  Using a timestamp to set your place
in source control is a bad idea because not everybody's clock is the same.

Again I'm trying to compress a whole discussion into a few paragraphs.
Please feel free to include me in this if you think it would help. I'd like
to stay on some list so I know what's going on in the skills group but
obviously my time is going to be first devoted to the new job -- which does
use subversion as is at the company and for the products that I worked on
three years ago so there is some value there, but I won't be looking at
their details too soon.  I am not in a QA or software engineering role.  I'm
doing more of a customer service and internet networking role for all things
having to do with hosting (domain names, certificates, ip addresses and that
bucket of things.)

Jim.

On Nov 6, 2011, at 4:27 PM, Lucy Hamnett wrote:

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry about last week; apparently gmail on my iphone let me send the
cancellation email into oblivion without letting me know. (sigh)

Anyway, from the previous week, when we didn't have a huge number of people
participating, one of the suggestions we wanted to put on the agenda was to
discuss the endgame of phase1 moving to phase 2 with respect to our source
repository. As a release engineer we thought that you might be able to plan
this for us, so that we know what to do with respect to SVN, especially as
most of us are not too familiar with making decisions about release
protocols etc.

Essentially, we need to be able to save/archive the existing code (or at
least the code when we think we're done with Phase 1) and be able to build
it, test it, and maybe make changes to it, while we proceed with other items
people want to pursue.

This coming week, I plan to go over the requirements document, suggesting
which items in the delayed list (and any new ones that come up) might be
worked on to produce something better than our phase1 product.

If you have any insights you can share, or wish to write up your suggestions
of what to do, it would be very appreciated. Maybe have you present the
following meeting if anything needs explaining, or just to show and tell. (I
know you might be subbing, so I'm not going to write you on the agenda in
stone :)

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Lucy