[triadtechtalk]

  • From: "The Prusik's at Bunkered Inn" <79erkilo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 00:04:28 -0600

    Thanks for the tips on the shift key!!  I just started poking around it
with a knife and it seems to be okay now.  I guess whatever was sticking fell a
little further into the innards.  My Manx cat (actually a "Stumpy") sits on my
lap a lot, and I guess it could have been cat hair.  :)
    I have another problem or two for the experts.  :)
    When I start up my computer a screen pops up asking me what I want to use
to open a program called:  "default_noname.mif"
Using the Search function I found a "0" kb temp file dated 3/6/03 in
C:\Windows\All Users\StartMenu\Programs\Start Up.  There are actually four MIF
files.  One has 2 kb and another that was created today, just a matter of
minutes ago, is 16 kb and in a temproary folder.
    I've searched and have come up with multiple possible definitions for this,
but it's beyond me what it pertains to...
    Problem number two, I thought had spontaneously resolved earlier, but it's
back now.  When I copy and paste some text, or even type text onto a message
body after a short period something causes an error in MSIM (?) and it has to
shut down.  So far I have been able to save this message by shutting it down
and reopening it about ten times.
    Once again, assistance/suggestions/ideas are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Donna P.

1)  MIF (Machine Interface Format) is an Ascend-specific language that provides
an alternative configuration interface for Ascend units. You can use a command
line or write a MIF program that sets Ascend parameters rather than use the
configuration menus to change one parameter after another. MIF programs provide
a batch-processing method of changing a configuration or performing a series of
actions.
2)  http://www.saugus.net/Computer/extensions.shtml;   doc
This is a rather generic sort of extension indicating some sort of document,
usually in simple ASCII; of particular note though is the fact that both
FrameMaker and MS-Word often save their native format files with this
extension, and such a file may only be read with FrameMaker or FrameViewer (if
a Frame document) or MS-Word (if an MS-Word document). Documents saved from
either FrameMaker or MS-Word that are meant for other machines should probably
be saved in MIF or RTF formats (respectively) in any case.
3)  http://esupport.ca.com/index.html?/public/amo_aimit/infodocs/1030.asp;  The
job running on the Computer group is called "Set Default User" and when the
Agent executes it, this job will create an inventory file in the \Clientws\
directory named Iws_gen.mif.
    On the User group a similar job is running named "Set Default Computer".
When the Agents runs this job it will create an inventory file named
Ius_gen.mif in the \Clientus\ directory where it stores the Area and Name of
the Computer as found in Ncclient.ini in the \Clientws\ directory.