[triadtechtalk] Vista Users

  • From: brian <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:57:34 -0800

Chuck, Richard, Armando,

Great to hear from each of you.

Armando, those were great links for Vista info. It kept me busy for hours!

Chuck and Richard, It will be interesting to see what you guys have to say once you get your systems up and going.

The one article in Armando's links said it will take years and years for the number of Vista to to catch up with XP. Also that XP will be supported for another 7 years! and they will come out with revision 3 in about a year. Most seem to think XP is a better bet, at least until Vistas first revision comes out due to the need for drivers support expansion, bugs, etc; And Microsoft said there replacement for Vista, called Vienna? will be out in about 2 years!!! Maybe Vista will be another WinMe.

Maybe just getting a high powered computer with XP and using it for the next few years may be best.

BRIAN

--------------------
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:21:00 -0800
From: brian <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Brian Also Checking In: Any Vista Users?

Hello to all,

Still here keeping Win98 running.
I am still thinking of a new computer, but thinking it is best to wait until the 1st revision Vista is out.
Have any of you given it a try yet?

BRIAN
**

------------------------------
From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:39:40 EST
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: Brian Also Checking In: Any Vista Users?

In a message dated 2/25/2007 12:21:46 P.M. Central Standard Time, brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
given it  a try yet?

picked me up a factory repaired HP dual core from the post exchange here at Ft Sill, Ok... and HP has a deal for free upgrade to vista on new purchase.. so... checked it out and I qualified... right now waiting delivery for it... off the shelf it costs.... to me.... way to danged much.... so freebie will do to see how it works.... lol... chuck...in ok <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.

----------------------------
From: "Richard" <modelworker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:15:43 -0700

        given it a try yet?

picked me up a factory repaired HP dual core from the post exchange here
at Ft Sill, Ok... and HP has a deal for free upgrade to vista on new
purchase.. so... checked it out and I qualified... right now waiting
delivery for it... off the shelf it costs.... to me.... way to danged
much.... so freebie will do to see how it works.... lol... chuck...in ok

This old box has just about breathed its last. I'm expecting delivery by
Wednesday of a new one with VistaHP, a 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, and 2
gigs of memory.

I'll let you know what I think. I *am* one of those individuals who thought
XP was great...

Best,
Richard

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 16:28:16 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"What's wrong with Vista":
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9009961>

Many are using it now and are going through the motions expected when MS
releases a new OS.

You can save some $$ if you decide to buy a Vista capable PC that is now loaded
with XP:
"Use Vista's 'upgrade' version to clean-install"
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201

QUOTE ON
-----
The secret is that the setup program in Vista's upgrade version will accept an
installed copy of XP, W2K, or an unactivated copy of Vista itself as evidence
of a previous installation.
----
UNQUOTE

IOW, XP PCs are being dumped by the retailers and some of them are quite
capable of running Vista. The idea is to buy a Vista capable PC that now has P
and then use the above article to purchase a lower cost version of Vista and
still get the entire package.[1]

I've chosen to upgrade to Kubuntu instead.

Armando

[1]Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready PCs
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:11:23 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re Vista???

I'm sorry I didn't include this link previously when answering to Brain's query.

Vista A to Z
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9004871>
A.

PeoplePC Online