[triadtechtalk] OT Friday Quotes

  • From: <budge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:57:58 -0700

Somethings you might find useful!  ;-)

Quotes

The best effect of fine persons is felt after we have left their presence.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
-Mark Twain,American author (1835-1910)

A room without books is like a body without a soul.
-Marcus Tullius Cicero, statesperson, orator, writer (106-43 B.C)

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare
like folly, there is no torrent like greed.
-Buddha

Language is a city to the building of which every human being
brought a stone.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

All the world's a stage, / And the men and women merely
players: / They have their exits and their entrances; / And
one man in his time plays  many parts.
-William Shakespeare, poet and dramatist (1564-1616)

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent
people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest
critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find
the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy
child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has
breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.
-Lao-Tzu

The road uphill and the road downhill are one and the same.
-Heraclitus, philosopher (Ca. 540-470 BCE)

You desire to know the art of living, my friend? It is contained in one phrase:
make use of suffering.
-Henri Frederic Amiel, philosopher and writer (1821-1881)

Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates
profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
-Lao Tzu, philosopher (6th century B.C.)

He turns not back who is bound to a star.
-Leonardo Da Vinci

To have doubted one's own first principles is the mark of a
civilized man.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., poet, novelist, essayist, and physician (1809-1894)

As a cure for worrying, work is better than whiskey.
-Thomas A. Edison

Much Madness is divinest Sense / To a discerning Eye / Much Sense--the starkest
Madness.
-Emily Dickinson, poet (1830-1886)

We secure our friends not by accepting favors but by doing
them.
-Thucydides

In seeking wisdom, the first step is silence, the second listening, the third
remembering, the fourth practicing, the fifth -- teaching others.
-Ibn Gabirol, poet and philosopher (c. 1022-1058)

If I seem to take part in politics, it is only because politics encircles us
today like the coil of a snake from which one cannot get out, no matter how
much one tries. I wish therefore to wrestle with the snake.
-Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
-Gen. George S. Patton

Doubt is not a pleasant state, but certainty is a ridiculous one.
-Voltaire

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
-Will Durant, historian (1885-1981)

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power.
-Abraham Lincoln, U.S. president (1809-1865)

Simply stated, it is sagacious to eschew obfuscation.
-Norman Augustine

Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.
-Chinese proverb

The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent upon it,can
still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do.
-Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

If thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.
-George Orwell, writer (1903-1950)

Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.
-Oscar Wilde, writer, poet(1854-1900)

What a heavy oar the pen is, and what a strong current ideas are to row in!
-Gustave Flaubert, novelist (1821-1880)

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means
just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
-Lewis Carroll

//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi